Thursday, January 10, 2008

 

Baylor Law welcomes new prof. Laura Hernandez!



The picture above is not of Baylor Law-- it's Stanford, the undergrad alma mater of my newest colleague here at Baylor, Laura Hernandez. Before I go any further, I have to admit that I am a little intimidated by Stanford grads. Part of this stems from the fact that every one I have ever met has been whip-smart. Also, in 1987 I visited Stanford and was terrified by how happy, fit, and active the students seemed (I then immediately decamped for a place better suited to slobs like me). I'm trying not to be scared of Prof. Hernandez, but so far she is entirely living up to my prior observations of Stanford grads.

Prof. Hernandez followed Stanford with law school at SMU, where she was an articles editor for the Law Review. After that, she embarked on a legal career in Texas. Before coming to Baylor, she was with Bickel & Brewer in Dallas, where she worked on a variety of issues which seem to be complex beyond my comprehension (a career in criminal law clouds one's ability to understand things like "supplemental jurisdiction").

Starting in the Spring quarter, Prof. Hernandez will be teaching Remedies. Based on prior experience with new faculty, I'm doing further research to determine if she has the ability to fly, cyborg tendencies, or jedi skills and a Wookie sidekick.

Comments:
I am glad to hear about the new hire.
 
Stanford, Schmanford!

Palo Alto doesn't have people in colonial garb roaming the streets like Williamsburg, Virginia does.
 
Welcome, Prof. Hernandez! For one thing, it's nice to see a hire from outside Baylor...
 
But Stanford has tree for a mascot. And that is awesome.
 
Did she know that the Professor worked at Baylor before she accepted the position?

So uhmm is there some kind of initiation thing for new professors? Are you going to make her run across campus in a bear suit or anything? Or maybe you could photoshop her face into that Guy-on-the-car-hood-beer-keg picture.

Does she have her elevator pass yet? Osler there is work to be done here.
 
Where's Professor Simpson? I read on frommalibutowaco that Professor Simpson's name was removed from the faculty list and that she's gone from the law school. What's up?
 
I met Prof. Hernandez this past Friday and she is impressive in person. Quick wit, optimistic, seems committed to the BLS philosophy. Good luck, Professor!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#