Tuesday, November 07, 2006

 

It's time for some repressed memories!


It's about 6ish in the morning, and I woke up in the middle of a very odd dream. I was trying to catch Brian McKinney, a Baylor freshman who sold me a set of Cutco knives, with a net. I was mostly unsuccessful, since the net was very small and he was fending me off with two large handbells.

Which reminded me that in starting this blog, I promised all of you "Musings, rants, recipes, repressed memories, haiku, and drivel." Let's do a quick inventory:

Musings-- check.
Rants-- oh, yes.
Recipes-- a couple, anyways.
Haiku-- an inexplicably large amount of haiku.
Drivel-- a truckful.
Repressed memories-- not a one.

Fortunately, the McKinney/net episode did bring up a memory I have successfully repressed to this point. When I was in grade school, my parents employed a witch as our babysitter. By that, I don't mean that she was mean (she was quite kind), but that she actually practiced witchcraft-- she took lessons in it. One day, the witch took my brother and I to see the movie "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang," which featured a terrifying character, the "Kid Catcher," who captured children in a big net. I was really scared of the kid catcher, and it kind of ruined the movie. My Mom was supposed to pick us up after the movie (the witch was only 15), so we were standing outside the theater waiting and secretly fearing the kid catcher when the town's dog catcher pulled up in his caged truck. We didn't have time to run before he came out of the truck and asked "are you the Oslers?"

As it turns out, my Mom's car had broken down and the police had sent the dog catcher to get us-- but believe me, we were NOT easy to catch.

Comments:
Kid Catcher still haunts my dreams. Greasy hair, scary nose.

Thanks for that. You can just rock me to sleep tonight.
 
haiku theme for the week?? childhood fears & nightmares?
 
That movie was one of the biggest disappointments of my childhood. My parents had read me the book Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming and I had loved it! A fabulous story about a clever family with a magical car.

The movie had almost NO relationship to the book. It was juvenile and stupid. Even Dick van Dyke seemed to be mailing it in.

It was the first time I walked out of a movie theater disgusted
 
IPLG--

Aren't you supposed to be out monitoring the polls or supporting hopeless-cause candidates or something?
 
I'm pretty sure they are trying to get the kid-catcher to teach PC, or at least cover the exercises.
 
I can't say it has never happend but it is in fact a fairly rare event I am caught unaware by lawyers with nets.
 
Brian, I think that in the dream I was either in my role as a member of 7th & James or a Cutco customer that I was trying to catch you. Perhaps I needed more knives and you had been avoiding my calls...
 
"One day, the witch took my brother and" ME. Not I, me.
 
Anonymous -

The Rules of Blogging by Misty decree that grammar does not count and doesn't get to be corrected. =) j/k I think I will also decree that spelling mistakes are okay also!
 
Do we still have to count "beats" in our Haiku, or is that optional now too?
 
"Not I, me?" Huh? You? You saw Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang? I'm confused. Are you my brother?
 
You know I would never ignore your calls, its entirely to much fun
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitty_Chitty_Bang_Bang

for a comparison between the fun and amusing book and the stupid and creepy movie.
 
Aaaaaaaaaauuuuuhhhhhggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A law professor with a net! I must defend myself with handbells!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#