Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

Recipe: The Perfect Burger

As a kid, my Uncle Scott was an intriguing character. He had one amazing talent: He made incredible hamburgers on the grill. You would think this would be no big deal-- making a burger is such a simple thing that everyone should be able to do it. But once you had one of Uncle Scott's burgers, you realized everyone else's was junk.

He taught me the three keys to the perfect burger:

1) Use ground chuck. A certain amount of fat is necessary for a good hamburger.
2) For spicing, use only salt and pepper, on both sides.
3) (and most important) Once the burgers are on the grill, only turn them ONCE. The less the burgers are handled, the juicier they stay. Since it is those juices that lend the meat flavor, you want to keep them in there.

If the Nuge comes over here for lunch sometime, that is probably what I would make.

Comments:
My husband's family uses those same principles and also does something deadly, but awesome. They get a butcher to grind bacon, and mix the ground bacon and chuck in a 1:2 ratio to grill. I'm surprised my husband lived long enough to marry me.

Also, I'll have you know that the last thing my study habits need is another mandatory Osler check. Your facebook page is already required reading before I get cracking on work, and now I have to read your blog too. Keep the PC Tips coming, though; I'm pretty sure I was your source for all four of those. Leaving my fly open was strategery to distract the jury from my idiot client.

Good luck with the blog!
 
Mmmmm... bacon. I think bacon makes anything better. For example, an omelet, or a cheese sandwich, or a football game, a Ford Taurus-- you name it, bacon makes it better.
 
I also think the perfect burger has to be somewhat raw, but that of course goes for all meat.
 
jjs, I'm going to head out to find a butcher to grind bacon right after church. Seriously, I am, because bacon really does make everything better.

Squeeker-- I do cook the meat. I suppose I forgot to describe that, which is a real failure in posting a recipe. I've got more work to do on this whole "blogging" thing...
 
Great. Now, let's have the salmon recipe.
 
i second the salmon request.

though i was under the impression that you were supposed to flip the burger multiple times to keep the juices from soaking out as a function of gravity.
 
This is another story that changed over time. Last time I heard it, you asked your Aunt how your former Uncle made those awesome burgers and she gave you the secret recipe. He was long gone before you asked.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#