Sunday, July 26, 2020

 

Sunday Reflection: What is being created?


Several months ago, back in March, I mused that the COVID epidemic might create a fascinating artistic moment-- a wave of creativity driven by dislocation and the uniqueness of this time.

I'm not sure that I was right. Yesterday I posted about the new Taylor Swift album, which is definitely a creature of quarantine, and is really good. But is there more, from less bland corners of our culture?

It could be that we don't know yet; that the nature of the pandemic is that the fruits of creativity won't be revealed until that veil is lifted.

Or, it could be that I was wrong. Something I failed to consider was the connection between creators and the audience; some art forms are not meant for isolation. The thought made me miss my friend Greg Tishar (who I remembered here). Greg taught me how to be part of that audience-- how to engage with passion and emotion, and that it was ok to loathe and to love what you were seeing or hearing. I miss that. Not having that makes me lonely in a way, a very specific way, that makes life less colorful.

A year ago, I went to Detroit to see a show that my dad had up at a gallery. It was magical to walk among crowds pointing and talking about the work, about what people liked and did not like. It was like watching the paintings come alive, the people in them walking with us, laughing.

Do we need that? I don't know. But I need that.




Comments:
A little late to the show.

My artist friends have found inspiration to paint more during the pandemic. All beautiful and a release for their respective modes.

My cooking friends are finding inspiration is new culinary creations and exploring cooking avenues they have previously avoided. For me that is bread baking: french, rye, cinnamon raisin, boules, and pizza dough. And cake, lots of cake.

My friends with kids are creating stronger family bonds and many, many memories that will be discussed over holiday dinner tables for the rest of their lives. While they struggled initially they have found a new rhythm in their lives. Things are slower, less rushed, more meaningful.

So in my mind lots of things are being created.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#