Sunday, March 18, 2012

 

Sunday Reflection: On the Death of Greg Tishar



I’m about ready to call a spiritual crisis here.

For the second time in a month, I got an email that I feared to open. This one was about my friend Greg Tishar.

Long-time readers of the Razor know that New York is a special place to me, and much of the reason for that is because of Greg Tishar. More then anyone, he showed me what New York really is, and how to enjoy it—something that has brought me great happiness.

I met him in 1988, when we both worked on Sen. Paul Simon’s presidential campaign. I was in law school up in New Haven, and took the train down to Manhattan for the meetings. Greg was a local organizer, and we became friends immediately. What I loved about him was his wonderful combination of openness and knowingness—he had an open heart and mind, even while he knew the truths that surrounded us in that big city. He became my guide to one of my favorite places.

He worked for the phone company, and was beloved there, but that was never really the core of his being. He was a consumer of the arts, and he was in the perfect place. It was Greg who first showed me the Met’s Family Circle, where the less-than-wealthy opera addicts sat. It was Greg who first led me to the photography at the Museum of Modern Art and the scene on the Lower East Side (which in the 1980’s was a fascinating miasma of cultures). He knew every show, and had an opinion on it; he knew a bar for every mood, and he sometimes got fed up with New York altogether and would decamp to Berlin for a month.

He was there for one of my favorite conversations ever. We were at a party in Fort Green (a neighborhood in Brooklyn), and he motioned me over and whispered conspiratorially “This is going to be good.”

And it was. An argument over a political point had begun, and one guy quoted something he had heard on National Public Radio. His opponent lit into him: “You mean National Pretentious Radio? Ha!” And… it was on, followed by the yelling and then another round, and then the Irish toasts, and finally singing. All that wasn’t crazy; it was just New York, and it was Greg who taught me how people talk in New York, which has done me well ever since. This week when New Yorker Susan Stabile (correctly) told me my clothes were a mess, I knew how to hear that—and I have Greg to thank for that.

He taught me, too, how opera should be like watching hockey—that your passions should be engaged, and you should love the good and hate the bad. I sat by him as he waved his hand over his head like a Baptist church lady yelling “bravo!” and at other times when he booed with the rest of the family circle and yelled (with all kinds of accents) at the failed performers: “Terrible!” and “Go back to Llubjana!” He was not a believer in polite clapping, and to this day I am not, either.

My last lunch with Greg was at the Yale Club a year or two ago. We sat with the usual cast of characters there and told stories and laughed. But then,… his parents died back in Springfield, leaving their house to him. He left the phone company, and the opera, and the MOMA, and all of New York, and moved into that house. That was where he took his own life.

On Friday, I was not a good teacher. In the morning, during Criminal Practice, I lost my place. In the afternoon, in Criminal Law, I started talking about the wrong reading. At the end of that class, I told them why I was not… well, not all there, about Katherine and Greg. I didn’t have some big lesson from it, or long story, I just apologized for not having my all that day and told them why. I trust them with that-- to see me as human, as hurt in this moment, baffled and lost. I often am better, and will be again-- will get back that part of me I borrowed from Greg, the part that can wave my hand like a Baptist church lady and yell "bravo!."

Comments:
Of corse you were a mess. Better to admit it.

I am so sorry about your friend.
 
I am sorry about your friend.

Isn't it an odd age we are coming into when we find ourselves facing the deaths of friends. For some reason the feeling is different than the death of a grandparent or aunt or uncle. Perhaps because they are close to our own age and it makes us contemplate our own mortality.

Take care my friend!
 
Mark, I'm so sorry to hear about both of your friends.
 
Prof,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
This is just terrible and unbearably sad. Death is painful enough, but suicide....A childhood friend of mine that you might have known from GPN Dave took his own life last year.. Besides just the shock and sadness,, you also begin to remember the kind of close friendship you had and because of it start ask the difficult question of"What coud I have done?" The worst is when you know how great the person was...how funny smart and full of life.etc...and then contrast that to the amount of pain and despair and loss of hope they were experiencing thst got them to that desperate point....

There is nothing but acute pain mixed with bewilderment, guilt, anger... .just horrific.

To have this happen TWICE in such a short time is..unimaginable....

There is no way AROUND the pain onlY THROUGH You write so beautifully about them...that is a comfort to me only....very sad for you, and just saying ......i get it....
 
Good Lord,my friend! This is the essence of the shits.The only thing that will salve the hurt is holding on to those you love very,very tightly and remembering how many people love and respect and honor you. I hold you in my heart and say a prayer. I myself suffer from bi-polar disorder and during my deep depressions considered suicide. The only thing that stopped me was the picture of my son's face and how devastated he would be and I had friends who let me stay with them--and Romeo too,when I couldn't think,couldn't imagine,couldn't live calmly in my skin. To a thinking creative person such a state is the most exquisite state of hell.I would rather give birth without anaesthetic or walk over hot coals than have this kind of pain again. It is like having your head in a vise. Maybe my gift is that I couldn't mask what was going on with me. Some people are better at it than others. Being with other people is the only thing that can keep you alive,that and chemicals.Just say,"yes." I was also in the hospital three times. Many people who are depressed like this fear the hospital,but it is the best place for you if you are mentally ill. But if someone is far away and/or hides it there is little one can do. I know that Katherine and Greg knew how much you loved them. I am so sorry.
 
I too am still reeling over the death of my friend, Greg. I met Greg in 1986. We both worked at the phone company. I last spoke to him on his birthday in January, never knowing it would be the last time. He was the ONLY person I would allow to call me "Nancy-Pancy", even though I hated it. How I wish I could hear him call me that again.
 
I just wanted to say a little more about depression in general.Often people don't know what to do if they find out a friend is depressed. If you sense something is wrong with someone,something is probably wrong.Ask and then listen.One thing that was valuable and probably saved my life was one person who called me every day and said: I love you. You're a wonderful person. And I know you're going to get well,and when you do, you will be better than ever. Invite this person to watch a movie,have dinner or just sit with them. When you are impaired in this way,it really impacts your self-esteem. You have problems keeping up your end of a conversation,and so you feel worthless.And you probably are not a picnic to be around in reality. But sit with them anyway.Be with them anyway.
 
If I knew that when I die, a friend confesses to people he's amongst that my passing has left him in a bit of a mess, it would make me live each moment with more vigor and vitality. Perhaps I should, anyway.

Thanks for this blog. It touched me, and I know none of you.
 
Renee is absolutely right about depressed people. It is a terrible and scary place to be. Ultimately, there is nothing you can do to stop a person who wants to take his/her own life, anymore than you can stop an alcoholic from taking a drink. Nonetheless, walking alongside a person, encouraging a person, just saying "I love you" or "I care" has saved more lives than you know. There is such shame that people with depression and anxiety carry with them, such overwhelming shame and sadness, which when you are in a deep depression, seems like it will never end. Unless, you have experienced the distortion you can never understand it (and when we are depressed, we are certainly not a "joy" to be around), but what is desperately needed at such times by depressed people is the simple and profound presence of another human being who cares.
 
Also, some people are very adept at hiding their depression. Some even tell great Brown jokes in the midst of it. Just care. We care about you and your friend and are sorry for this great loss. G-d bless him and you and all who loved him.
 
I’m with OsoGrande and with Renee. Also your tribute made me wish Greg Tishar was my fellow non polite clapper up in the Family Circle, made me wish I participated in an argument about National Pompous Radio with him by my side. I wish he was still in this world so that meeting someone like him would make someone else’s life richer, just as he did yours. I wish he didn't feel he had to leave, but if there is a better place I hope he’s there.
Above all I am sorry for your loss, because if your account of your friend Greg Tishar made me wish I had him in my world, I can only imagine what not having him means to you. He obviously etched an indelible mark on the people he left behind and that is his way of deservedly living on.
 
Don't beat yourself up too much about class. It was not that big a deal, and I think your students understand, (or can try to). The same emotional IQ that wrecks you, makes you a good teacher.
 
Boy,does David get you! What a marvellous and true statement..."the same emotional I.Q. that wrecks you,makes you a great teacher." I do not think your brilliant words would have the same currency if you were not willing to show who you really are as a human being.
 
greg would be moved...odd duck that greg. so saddened when i heard! i recall his going to london for the festivities...so very nice of you to share and for me to get a clue as to why he left us...like that...oy vay....xo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#