Friday, October 02, 2015

 

Haiku Friday: College Mascots



As many of you know, I am a huge fan of college mascots. I very much prize the photo above, showing my one chance to meet one of my major heroes.

Let's haiku about them this week!  Here, I will go first:

Goldy the Gopher
You make a bad game better!
(There are lots of those).

Now it is your turn! As a helpful aid, I have provided a list of mascots below.

Alameda College-- Cool E. Cougar ("The E. is for Education!")
American University-- Clawed Z. Eagle
Amherst College-- Lord Jeff
Baylor-- Some Bears (I think they are named Judge Judy and Judge Morton)
Colorado School of Mines-- Marvin the Miner
Columbia-- Roar-ee the Lion
Dartmouth-- Keggy the Keg



Georgia-- Hairy Dawg
Goucher-- Mortimer the Gopher
Harvard-- Chilly Willy the Penguin
Idaho-- Joe Vandal
Iowa-- Herky Hawk
Maine-- Bananas T. Bear
Michigan State-- Sparty the Spartan
US Naval Academy-- Bill the Goat
Northwestern-- Wildcat Willy



Ohio State-- Brutus the Buckeye
Oklahoma-- Norman Oklahoma
Purdue-- Boilermaker Big-Head Guy
Rhode Island School of Design-- Scrotie
RPI-- Puckman
Santa Cruz-- Sammy the Slug
Scottsdale Comm. College-- Artie the Fighting Artichoke
Stanford-- The Tree
Syracuse-- Otto the Orange
Texas-- Bevo the Languid Cow
Tufts-- Jumbo the Elephant
Vanderbilt-- Mr. C
Virginia Tech-- Hokie Bird
Whittier College-- Johnny Poet
William and Mary-- Col. Ebirt
Williams College-- Purple Cow
Wisconsin-- Bucky the Badger
Xavier-- The Blue Blob
Yale-- Handsome Dan

Now it is your turn! Just make it fun, and use a syllable count of 5/7/5...

Comments:
At a tender age,
met real bear drinking DP.
Lasting impression.
 
Oh, Goldy Gopher!
When I was 8 I met you
You waved your tail.
 
At six, I made one
He had a spoon and a name:
"Johnny Dangerous"
 
The St. Peter Saints,
Our mascot was an angel,
Very menacing.
 
Daughter made us proud
Mortimer THE Gopher loud
Goucher mascot she
 
She was the Gopher?!?
I am so impressed; but...
Are there some photos?
 
"Daddy, does any college
have panda mascots?"
Parenting is hard.
 
Yes, the Gopher she!
Proud more than you can ever know
Gopher parents we

 
Fortier all boys high
Tarpon mascots stuffed and hung
State champs forty-eight.
 
In Sherman, Texas,
Austin College kangaroos.
Slogan was "Get Roo'd!"
 
I think I shall not
Ever see mascots better
Than the Stanford Tree
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#