Thursday, November 23, 2006

 

Thanksgiving Warning: Look Out for Chilly Willy


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. This is my favorite holiday-- I love the idea of it, and the fact that it is a holiday geared more to reflection and humility than patriotism or commerce.

But, like many other good things, there is a dark side. Those of us from Detroit know to keep a lookout for a Thanksgiving menace that appears when least expected-- Chilly Willy the Penguin.

In 1990, a frozen dessert company entered a 30-foot inflatable penguin in the Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade down Woodward Avenue. Given the variety of social ills (street violence, poverty, a rotting infrastructure) faced by Detroit, few in attendance thought that a greater threat might be posed by the giant gaseous penguin. They were wrong.

Midway through the parade, Chilly Willy made a break for it. I remember this-- I was there. He broke free of his handlers and charged into the sky, taunting those below. Legend has it that several bystanders stopped shooting at one another and fired at the fleeing bird to no avail. The irony was overwhelming; After decades of tragedy, now the city was under threat by a giant flightless bird that had somehow taken to the air. Now he headed for the home of the singer-songwriter who defined irony for so many of us: the Great White North's own Alannis ("Isn't It Ironic?") Morrisette.

So, like other Northern-border fugitives, Chilly Willy headed to Canada. Many watched as he headed down the Detroit River and across Lake St. Clair toward freedom in a nation famous for its generous proportions of ice and snow. He got as far as Walpole Island, just into Canada, before he was finally apprehended.

Chilly Willy's reign of terror was not complete, though. In a Napolean-like comeback, some months later he was trusted with the duties of appearing at a car dealership for promotional purposes. Not missing an opportunity, he lashed out with violence. It was not random violence, however-- his target was an official of the very parade from which Willy had escaped! CW threw his terrified victim from the roof of the dealership, breaking her arm and leg, and teaching a valuable lesson on the hazards of trying to tie down a restless spirit that cannot be contained.

They say that Chilly Willy has been safely deflated and stored in a secure facility. Believe that if you want... I'm watching my back.

[It occurs to me that some of you might think I am making this up. If you don't believe me, check out the news article here, in the last four paragraphs.]

Comments:
About ten years ago, he showed up near Terlingua, Texas, under the pseudonym "Chili Willi." I think there is still a warrant out for him-- he was accused of selling skunge to Willie Nelson.
 
I'll take Chilly Willy over the Lions by 10.

-B
 
Speaking of parades, when will you discuss your personal history of parade mishaps?

I have digital photos of the infamous "catalytic converter" fired float... before and after
 
I remember when this happened. What you failed to mention is where Chili is now. I have heard he is kept inflated and tethered in Bill Bond's back yard. OR maybe it was Bill Kennedy.

And Now..... BACK to our movie....
 
Hey TYD-- do you remember where Bill Kennedy lived?
 
I do, in fact, remember where he lived. He lived in a big white house on Lakeshore Drive, WHere it was often rumored that for Halloween, in lieu of candy, he gave out autographed pictures of himself. I never went trick or treating to his house, but it was always a dream of mine.

I live in Oregon now, and I have told many people the tale of Chili. No one really believes me. They nod and smile politely, but I can sense what they are thinking.

I will never live in Michigan again, not because it is bad, but because I just could not bear the snow. I do not mind the fact that it rains 354 days a year here. Climate aside, I do so miss Michigan and all of its nuttiness. And I live in the farmlands surrounding Portland, where I am literally and figuratively surrounded by nuts of all kinds.
 
Well, Tyd-- I often made the long trek on Halloween up the driveway of Bill Kennedy's next-door neighbor, that one Ford guy (Benson?), and he was never home.

Now Mr. Glancey-- That guy gave out some serious candy.
 
I think Benson Ford was either pretending not to be home, OR he was at Bill Kennedy's house. They were probably in the basement drinking Manhattans and looking at pictures of Walter Brennan.

OKAY. TOO MUCH COFFEE.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#