Sunday, February 02, 2014

 

Sunday Reflection: The brooding period



This is going to be a big week:  Tomorrow I will be presenting a mid-day reflection at St. Thomas with Susan Stabile on confession (info here), and then a week from today I am giving the sermon at First Covenant church here in Minneapolis in the morning, then heading off to Boston in the afternoon (to give two talks at a Harvard Law symposium on narcotics legislation).  

The sermon is on Psalm 8.  The people who know me are laughing to themselves a little right now-- they know that I never venture far from the gospels, and that the Old Testament is... well, I know as much about that as I do about luge.  Still, I look forward to the challenge, and know that the congregation there is loving and forgiving as might be necessary.

What that means is that I will spend some time lying on my couch this week.  Hulitt Gloer taught me how to write a sermon, and one thing he taught me was the importance of a "brooding period"-- that time where you think through the meaning of the scripture without writing.  I've found that it is important not just for preaching, but other presentations and writing as well.  The mind needs to work things out without a pen in your hand or your laptop open; I learned this late in life.

Comments:
I like the idea of a brooding period.

And the Psalms aren't hard--they're just poetry. (Now I've really scared you, haven't I?)
 
Brooding is good for the soul, a clear way to reflect, hopefully understand and gain new insights. Brooding on the couch I'm not so sure...sounds too comfortable. I don't know why, but comfortable brooding doesn't sound promising. However reading Psalms and brooding on the couch may just be the winning combination.
 
My dad was a minister and told me that one of his seminary professors was asked how long it took to prepare a sermon - he responded:
It takes me about 3 hours for a 15minute sermon, about 2 hours for a 30 minute sermon, and I could give you an hour long sermon right now.
Brood away brother.
 
One of the things I miss about preparing sermons is the rhythm of living with a text for a week at a time, brooding over it as you say.

On the upside, or more likely the down side, the life inside my head is much less susceptible to getting turned upside down.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#