Wednesday, December 11, 2013

 

Staying warm!



I was watching the Baylor game on Saturday (Yay Bears!) and was noticing how the fans were dressed for the cold (it was about 25 degrees at game time).  Even leaving aside the half-naked people with their bodies painting (all of whom I am assuming are dead by now), there seemed to be a lot of folks who.... well, they wouldn't survive long in Minnesota.

For example, the guy above with the "I'm kinda cold" sign.  Dude, you are cold in large part because you are using a blanket open-style, like a cape.  That's not going to do much for you, given the two-foot gap in the front.  The sign isn't going to help much, either, unless you burn it (which is probably illegal in a stadium).

A little better were the people who looked like they were dressed to go cross-country skiing, with sleek tight-fitting things.  Those work great if you are, in fact, skiing, because they depend on the heat your body generates.  They aren't as good when you are doing something sedentary, like sitting to watch a football game (the Texas fans seemed especially, uh, sedentary).

Here is what Minnesotans do if they are going to a December football game (or, more likely, ice-fishing):

1)  Layering is important, but wear the right layers.  Your base layer should not be a t-shirt, or anything else made of cotton, because that will absorb water and hold that cold sweat right next to your body.  That's bad for you, and really bad for whoever is washing your clothes.  Your base layer (including socks) should be a non-cotton wicking material like silk or dri-fit.

2)  If you are going to be sitting, you need a puffy jacket.  Many Minnesotans have two puffy jackets filled with down or synthetic down.  Little puffy is for active events or temps above 20 or so.  Big puffy is for cold, sedentary activities.  You look like a blueberry, but you are a warm blueberry.

3)  Wear a hat!  Lots of heat comes off your head.  Yes, it will give you hat-head, but at least you will continue to have a head.

4)  Something to cover your neck and face, like a scarf or neck gator, is a great thing.

5)  On your hands, mittens are better than gloves.  Cotton will not cut it-- and if you are going to be throwing snowballs, make sure there is a waterproof outer layer.

6)  Finally, don't ask RRL for advice.  He was at the game in a Led Zepplin II t-shirt, I hear.  Instead, ask Woody for advice.  He is from Milwaukee, and still alive, so he must be doing something right.

Comments:
Mittens with down fill for up in your area and mittens with thinsulate lining for NC - but definitely mittens....

Will you r next post address proper footwear?
 
Great advice, Mark ... but it would have been a helpful post LAST WEEK! :) I wore boots (cowboy boots, not those trendy UGG things) with two pairs of socks, but I still couldn't feel my toes by halftime.
 
I had 6 layers on top (dry-fit T shirt, two dry-fit long sleeve shirts, one long sleeve cotton Baylor football shirt, Baylor fleece and Carhart jacket) and 3 on the bottom (long johns, sweat pants, jeans) on top of which I wore my duck hunting waders that have insulated boots. I got some strange looks, but the waders were the best decision I've made in a while. Oh, and I wore two beanies and a scarf to keep my head/face warm. Not sure that's Minnesota style, but it worked for Waco.
 
I made it only one quarter, and I was wearing all my XC ski gear, much of which is from The North Face. I still couldn't feel my hands or toes and couldn't move them enough to get those darn warmers open. I tried coffee in the second quarter--my throat wasn't cold, so it didn't help. I went back to the car at halftime, then called a friend to come rescue me and my big puffy down-filled jacket. My husband made it till the end though, and his cold-weather gear was not nearly as extensive as you describe. If you'd asked me to ski for those five hours, I could've done it; I even had a Cliff bar on me.
 
Hey, that explains the sneers I got from the homeless guy at the bus stop for wearing my duvet open-style!
 
I was SO COLD. But I made it to the end. My feet were numb. But I was warmed by the heat of watching the Longhorns burn to the ground.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#