Tuesday, July 10, 2012

 

A great story from Chuck Treadwell

Neil Alan Willard recently tipped me off to a great blog post by Chuck Treadwell, the Rector at St. Paul's in Waco (apparently, the Episcopal world is a small one). Among other things, Chuck was kind enough to let me give the commencement speech (text here) at the St. Paul's school my last year there. His mother, Lu Treadwell, was both a neighbor of mine and one of my ministers at 7th and James in Waco. Shortly before he died, I also got to meet his father, William Treadwell, who was a wonderful Baptist theologian.

Here is part of Chuck's post:

When I was ordained a priest, my father, an ordained Baptist minister, preached at my ordination. When the time came for the ordination, the Episcopal clergy gathered around to lay hands on my head along with the Bishop. My father remained in his seat, because there is no agreement between the Episcopal and Baptist churches on ordination. Just before the Bishop said the words of ordination he stopped, removed his hands from my head, and motioned for my father to come over and lay his hands on my head as well. This was contrary to the teaching of both the Episcopal and Baptist churches. This was poor doctrinal theology, but it was perfect pastoral theology.

Comments:
Lovely.
 
Read the blog post. It reminded me of when I said to my priest, "But no one I love will be able to take Communion at my funeral." And he said, "Well, in a situation like that, we might not ask whether they're Catholic."
 
The sad thing, Megan, is that not all priests would respond as yours did.
 
Thank you, what a lovely memory to reflect upon!

I hope the words or actions of any Priest, Clergy, Rabbi or religeous seldom restrain an individual's desire to lovingly serve another.

My hometown parish priest was criticized, not for making our Catholic church available for my father's (a Canandian citizen born into an Anglican family) funeral, but for honoring his life of service to his adopted country, their community and our parish with a Mass of Christian Burial.

Many of my tears last week, while visiting their final resting place, were in memory of that generous expression of love and "pastoral theology".

I pray all have similar treasured memories to savor and share - and each one of us are continually offered opportunities to initiate many on our own...
 
Chuck was very patient with this born and raised baptist as we lingered in his congregation for a year. It was time we cherished and a congregation and school that is a jewel of Waco.
 
Wonderful stories. It strikes me this is all very Christian … albeit, reflective of a grace that is not unique to Christianity … yet very much in the spirit of the grace exemplified by Christ, for whom the spirit of the law was always far more important than a ridged application of the law.

We had a similar experience last fall at the Catholic mass/funeral of a dear friend. Her sister is a nun in Boston (they are both came from a very Irish RC Boston family) and we asked her, the nun, prior to the service if it would be OK for us to take communion as non-Catholics … she laughed (we have known her for years and she is an amazingly warm hearted, funny, often irreligious, person of deep faith … as was her sister) and with a great twinkle in her eye, she said she was assisting and there was no one who could or would stop her from sharing the body and blood with us! We were deeply appreciative.
 
And then one might encounter the diametrical opposite. We have an older priest in our parish who went to the Catholic parish of his mother for her funeral. This kindly,saintly man,a gifted preacher and known for his outreach to the elderly,was denied Communion,because he was not a Catholic. The outrage in this makes me nearly apoplectic and cry bitter tears. He certainly let this go,but will he ever forget this hurt coming from the church? Every time The Chief declares our table to be "The Lord's Table,and not our own," and open, my throat chokes up with emotion and love for my church. To me it is a holy procession of all different sorts of believers, presenting themselves "to be a living sacrifice" and they are ALL family. Which reminds me of one of The Chief's favorite songs,"All Are Welcome." That says it all.
 
As we say at The Church of St. Clement (Episcopal) in Alexandria, Virginia, "All are welcome at God's Holy Table."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#