Tuesday, June 01, 2010

 

The end of elementary school-- do you remember?


This is the text of the commencement address I gave at St. Paul's last Friday. When reading it, keep in mind that much of my audience was composed of people between the ages of three and twelve... and at the end they got to do some real yelling!

This is a great day. Sixth graders, everyone is here to celebrate you, to love on you. Not all moments are equal, and this is one of the great ones.

I’m really proud you gave me this chance to be the speaker, and I talked to a lot of people about what to say. Some adults thought it was odd to have a graduation ceremony from 6th grade, but they didn’t go to St. Paul’s. They didn’t know what a small, intense, wonderful community this is, and what it means to be at the end of your journey here.

Growing up is a funny thing. At each step, the world gets a little bigger. At first, it was just you, a tiny newborn baby, and your mom, your mom holding you in her arm, this tiny little beautiful thing. Even the dads could just watch. But then your world got a little bigger, to include your dad and your brothers and sisters, maybe, grandparents. For a few years, at least, that little circle was your whole world.

Then, they brought you to school, to this school, and the world got bigger again. It seemed huge to you at the time, I’m sure. And then for the next several years, this was the circle, this loving and wonderful school.

What is important about today, about right now, it that now the circle will grow even larger for you in the next few months. We will send you on to a different place next year, and you will meet new people and learn new things and see new places. That matters. That’s important. We love you, and we think you are ready for that bigger world. You are going to do great.

That will keep happening the rest of your life, too—your world will keep getting bigger and bigger if you let it. When that happens, too, you will do great things. Part of a life well lived will be that while you treasure what you have, your world will grow ever larger, more and more full of knowledge and people and love.

When you do that, I hope you will carry a little bit of St. Paul’s with you, and the love of these parents and teachers. Maybe you didn’t notice this, but the adults here watched you very carefully as you grew. They saw everything. Sometimes it was happy, sometimes it was sad, or silly—a whole table full of first graders acting like cats. [Meow!] Here’s a secret, too—sometimes we adults envy your world here, a safe place where people love you without reservation. We are more like you than you might think, even though we live in that bigger world. If you don’t believe me, let me tell you a story, a story about that courtyard just outside those big wooden doors.

Last October, a few weeks before Halloween, I was walking in near a mother and daughter who I think are here today, a first grader or kindergartner. Here is what I heard:

Mom: Are you sure you don’t want to be a princess?
Girl: I want to be Spiderman!
Mom: Spiderman doesn’t get to use a wand…
Girl: I… want… to… be… Spiderman.
Mom: Well, let’s just look at the princess costumes.

Someone there wants to be a princess for a day, and it wasn’t the girl. That Mom is like me—she is part kid. We all are. That is one reason we are so excited for you right now. We know what it is like to have the world grow a little larger, and these mothers and fathers and aunts and uncles and grandparents and friends will be walking with you, hand-in-hand, as you take that step into a bigger world.

All right, everybody, I’m a lawyer, so I’m going to swear you all in now.

Mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, anyone who loves one of these children whether they are graduating or not-- if you can I want you to stand up to be sworn in.

Please raise your right hand.

Do you solemnly swear to love these children as their worlds get bigger, as they get bigger, to love them when things are good and when things are bad? Say I do!

Ok, now the kids. All you kids, stand up. Raise your right hand. No, your other right hand. Ok- Do you solemnly swear to love one another and these adults, even when your worlds get bigger and bigger, bigger than your house, bigger than this school? Say I do!

No, really say it! Shout it! Do you solemnly swear to love one another and these adults, even when your worlds get bigger and bigger, bigger than your house, bigger than this school? Say I do!

Sixth graders say AMEN!

Sixth graders say halleluiah!

Everyone say Halleluiah!

Love on!

Comments:
Yes, I remember. I said good bye to Ms. Schmidt and some kids in my class who would head to the other middle school and walked home with the kids from the street. There was no 'grand' graduation ceremonies. Then I probably had lunch, put on my swim suit and went to the Shores Park for the remainder of the summer.

It amazes me that people think the kindergarden, 5th/6th grade and 8th grade graduation is a need? It is done purely for the parents.
 
The biggest thing that I remember about the transition from elementary to middle school (for me it was 5th to 6th grade) was that middle school was the age when it somehow became acceptable for students at my school to use curse words (among themselves, of course). Before that, there was always a stigma about it, even in hushed conversations on the playground, but in 6th grade it seemed to be generally accepted.

What an oddly specific memory.
 
I hated elementary school and was glad to get out. I liked learning, just hated school and the fact that I did not fit in.

There was no ceremony. We just got on our bus and went home.

Little did I know that Intermediate School would be worse.
 
IPLawguy for 2011 6th grade graduation speaker! Theme: "next year will be even worse,"
 
I still have a picture of me at my pre-school graduation (1971 or 1972). Apparently, I loved my teacher from the looks of the photo. (And my dress was pretty fab for that time!)
Graduation at St. Paul's is special and anticipated by students, faculty and parents alike. It is a small school - this graduating class only had seven students and some of them had been together nine or ten years. At least three of the teachers have been in the school since they started as two or three year olds. So, yes, there is a need to celebrate these friendships and the teachers who have been with them all these years. It was a beautiful service with lots of music and readings and Mark’s speech was an integral part.
 
THAT WAS AWESOME.
Iplaw: I also hated elementary school but I loved Middle school Then HS was both good and bad. Worlds got bigger for a while and then as you have your own family they shrink a little again.
 
I sure remember the nedo of brownell at the end of 8th grade. That was VERRRY hard because the kids split up and went to two differnt High Schools.

That was SUCH a bummer. I vividly remember everyone crying etc.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#