Monday, June 11, 2012

 

Haiku winner: The Green Pen


I'm a little disappointed that there was no haiku last week (on the topic of gardening) from The Green Momster, since it seemed to be right up her alley, but there were still plenty of quality entries.

For best single verse of haiku, I was most taken by this effort of CTL's:

Marauding bands of
Deer assail my plot by night
Like white-tailed Vikings.


Then, for the expand-o haiku style that seems so popular with the young people these days, both Renee and Christine had nice entries, but Christine's had a hummingbird in it:

I sit with coffee
Watching a kaliediscope...
green, pink, gold, white, blue

Morning sun washes
the faces of the flowers
butterflies drifting

Chirp, chirp, tickseed ripe
Gold Finches swoop from the woods
breakfast awaits them

A breeze rustles leaves
grasshoppers spit tobacco
stare with beady eyes

A hummingbird zooms,
stops, sweet nectar all around
sampling each like wine

Bees buzz just below
Pollen covered transports
Adept at their work

My cat is prowling
like a tiger, protecting
his territory

Beyond, green tendrils
holding misshaped ornaments
Snake toward the sun

This is what I grow
beautiful, each day, to me
My canvas of life


Not everyone knows this, but CTL and Christine have known each other for several years. From 2007-2010, Christine ran Toyota's secret lab in the North Carolina Research Triangle, where they were working on a prototype for a flying car. CTL, in his first summer while at Baylor, snagged an internship at Christine's secret lab. Toyota's plan (based on space missions) was to first have a dog fly the car, then a college freshman, and finally they would move on to human trials. Sadly, as the college freshman, CTL never got to try flying the car, as the dogs kept crashing them. It turns out they were using the wrong breed, as CTL pointed out repeatedly, but no on listens to the intern!

Comments:
Best dog drivers? Weimaraners. Collies are too passive, basset hounds sing to the radio, and when it comes to labradoodles? Two words:road rage. Goldens are okay but they get lost a lot. They tend to follow anyone home. " HEY! HEY! SEE THAT BUICK??? THAT GUY IS EATING BURRITO! Let's go to his house...."

Apparently GPS has no effect on them either. SAD?
 
I have great appreciation for those "white-tailed vikings". Never underestimate the capabilities of the ruminant or the freshmen intern.
 
Expando haikuing is where it's at. However if you will notice,each of the haikus in the expando-haiku format stands by itself as a purely haiku haiku. Strong alone,strong together. Expando haiku as opposed to Commando Haiku,which is quite another thing!
 
I hope I could capture an image of a bird like that.I seldom could capture the perfect scene. :D
 
I like the entry that Christine's made with sense and very interesting. I remember my high-school days that I made a lot of poetry.:D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#