Saturday, January 16, 2010

 

Minneapolis in January!


Yesterday I was in Minneapolis, giving a talk about some of my work to the faculty at St. Thomas Law School in Minneapolis. The lecture was a variation of the crack/powder presentation I have previously given to student groups at Harvard Law School and at Baylor.

The principle difference this time was my audience. St. Thomas has an especially distinguished faculty for such a young school, full of nationally-known experts in various fields (as well as a large number of Harvard Law grads... hmmm). Despite these daunting credentials, the faculty seemed very welcoming and dedicated to the vocation of teaching and writing. I was especially impressed by some of their more innovative programs-- for example, Hank Shea was a white-collar prosecuting legend when I was at DOJ. He now teaches at St. Thomas where, among other things, sometimes gives joint lectures with some of the people he prosecuted.

Many schools have programs like this, where scholars from other institutions are invited in to discuss their work to the faculty, usually at lunch. It is good for the faculty to hear what is going on other places and great for the invitee (me), who gets a group of sharp minds to bounce ideas off of. Of course, it also makes a case for Baylor's quality on a national stage (if I do a good job). I loved it.

I was invited by my friend Joel Nichols, who is a great teacher and scholar. It is always fun to see one of my teacher friends interact with students; the warmth and importance of the relationship becomes clear and immediate.

And for the Spanish Medievalist: No, I did not have time to go ice fishing.

Comments:
Hey Mark, Thanks for the shout-out to UST. We loved having you up. Stay longer next time and we'll ice-fish(!), or at least snow-shoe or cross-country ski on those frozen lakes...
 
Ah, January in the Twin Cities, crack cocaine, and ice fishing. It reminds me of a particularly fragile little ballad by Led Zeppelin, "Immigrant Song":

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords.

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing

Bob
 
When I was applying to law schools, it came down to St Thomas and Baylor. I decided on Baylor b/c 1) no snow in TX and 2) I felt like I needed a change from the environment I chose for undergrad (small, Catholic college in a large city). I just think it's cool that either way, I would have run into you :)
 
I can see how they would like you at St. Thomas. From what I can tell, they are about the same things you are-- faith, law as vocation, scholarship towards a moral goal, and engagement with students through teaching. It also sounds a little goofy, which you are, too.
 
Brrrrr.....
 
You were oh-so close to North Dakota.
 
But did you have time to play some pond hockey?
 
"Pond hockey" sounds dirty.

But let's hear more about Valhalla! Over mead.
 
What? You went all the way to Minnesota and you didn't ice fish? Well, that just means you still have another reason to go to Minnesota again. I'm sure Bates can get a handle on an ice house, a cooler full of beverages, and gear so you can ice fish with the best. I'm glad my fellow Minnesotans made such a favorable impression.
 
BTW, pond hockey is like sandlot baseball: few rules, no pads, and lots of fun. You play until exhausted and no one keeps score. You betcha. Lots of fun.
 
That's not hockey. That's fighting occasionally interrupted by chasing a puck around some ice.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
No Lane, those Minnesotans will play hockey where ever the ice is thick enough and cheap enough. Then they go to the ale hall and discuss Valhalla!
 
Skip ice fishing...curling's much more fun.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#