Tuesday, December 29, 2009

 

Sorry man-- my bad!


It turns out I made a terrible mistake regarding this incident. The following is my open letter to the victim:

Dear Resident of 1166 Roslyn Road, Grosse Pointe, Michigan:

I hope that you are having a fine holiday season. Perhaps you noticed that on the evening of December 23, your yard was festooned with toilet paper and marshmallows, and that a Christmas card was left at your door from someone you don't know.

That someone was me. You may be wondering why I would do this at your particular home, given our lack of any relationship at all. As you have teen-age children, I would imagine there may have been quite a bit of yuletide fingerpointing and recriminations regarding the source of these decorations, made all the more complex by the fact that the perpetrator (as made clear in the card) had come from Texas to do this to your house. I suppose that this probably came up at dinner on subsequent nights, as well.

Suffice it to say that I had the wrong address, a fact that actually is made clear even in the photograph published on this blog. I intended to surprise my longtime friend, your neighbor Scott Davis, who resides two doors down. It was quite a surprise when I met with him last night and showed him the picture, only to have him tell me that it wasn't his house!

I'm sorry about any inconvenience this may have caused. I will be much more careful in any similar pursuits in the future, particularly if conducted in your neighborhood.

Mark Osler

Comments:
Professor Osler,

A frequent topic on your blog is the cost of law school. Many of your readers (including Dallas Prosecutor, Lane, and my wife Julie) take positions in the public sector after leaving Baylor Law School. In many cases, these former BLS students are still burdened by high student loan debt.

Part of the solution for people who choose to serve may be found in the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. Not actually passed until 2008 and not effective until July 2009, the Act may lower or eliminate student loan debt for people who take certain jobs after law school.

College and law school grads who take full time jobs with the government, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, AmeriCorps, the Peace Corps, or a private "public service organization" (i.e. an org. funded in part by a governmental unit that is not a political party, labor union, or religious org.) are eligible. After 10 years of "eligible employment," all federal Stafford & GradPlus loans are forgiven. The program also reduces payments on those loans. More information is available at www.IBRinfo.org. The site has an awesome video with a gremlin that would be just right for the Razor.

I just thought I'd pass this along.

Richard
 
a fine mea cupla
 
Incidentally, in case it is not clear from the context, Mr. Richard Howell is the resident of 1166 Roslyn Road, Grosse Pointe, Michigan. The implied subtext is, of course, that NONE of Mark's very bright children now have a snowball's chance in hell of getting scholarships to law school, as Mr. Howell sits on a number of these boards.
Just thought I'd pass this along.
Bob
 
Is Mr. Howell a member of the Knights Templar? You may have crossed the wrong line professor...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#