Monday, July 06, 2009

 

Unified Theory of Work


There are a lot of things I have explained on this blog, but I'm not sure I have ever gotten around to explaining some of the most important things.

I have written here about my work, but not why I choose to do that work. There is, in fact, something that ties it all together. Many of you know that I love the message in Micah 6:8-- "What does the Lord your God require of you, but to love justice and to show mercy and to walk humbly with your God." That passage informs my work in two ways-- first in how to approach it, and second in what it should be.

First, I try to keep humility as a central value in my teaching and writing. In the classroom, I never want to humiliate a student as a teaching tool. At times, especially in practice court, I lost track of this, and I deeply regret it. I may know more about the subject than my students, but they are more important than I am-- their education is about them, not me. In my scholarship, I also try to avoid intellectual arrogance and present my ideas as one among many principled arguments.

Second, much of what I teach and write about has to do with the tension between justice and mercy, if justice is treating like people alike, and mercy is giving some a break or chance for redemption. It is very hard to reconcile those two goals within a sentencing system. What my work seeks is that at least there be elements of both-- that there be both justice and mercy. The areas I have attacked (crack sentencing, juvenile life without parole, the death penalty) are those where I feel there has been no room left for mercy. At the same time, I am not comfortable with those areas where mercy completely overwhelms justice, such as the (very rare) reversal of the conviction of a clearly guilty person because of the Miranda rule.

I am imperfect in how I pursue these two sides of Micah 6:8, but it does provide a unity between my faith and my vocation that lets me continue this work even when others disapprove.

Comments:
I wish more professors would agree with you that humiliation as a teaching tool is completely unnecessary and, I would argue, causes more harm than good. I've never understood how belittling someone is supposed to help them grow (into anything other than a bitter person). Maybe I'm missing something.
 
Ah, but belittling does have a purpose - it shows you what not to be as a professional (in applicable situations) because now you know what people really think of you when you do. Certain people exist to be examples only.

A few situations warrant it, most don't. As the daughter of a teacher/counselor whose been immersed in the educational profession all my life, it can be difficult to respect a "teacher" who looks at you like an idiot. And students aren't the only ones who notice.

If you are representing a judge in real life situation, please knock me down and prepare me for those situations. If you are discussing a day's lesson, teach me. It's how you grow the flame into a real force for the law.
 
I think there's a difference between pointing out error bluntly and belittling someone. One is acceptable, the other isn't (in my opinion anyway). You say that knocking someone down prepares them for that situation, which may be true, but the fact remains that if a judge/partner/professor chooses to belittle someone on top of teaching/reprimanding them, then that's just kind of a jerk thing to do. Sure, it might get the point across, but is it necessary? I say no; others disagree.
 
I had my share of harsh words from the profs. But I've never respected someone as little as I did when we had a guest critique a PC exercise. This interloctor seemed more intent on painting themselves as a big shot lawyer capable of being a hard ass. It might have impressed kids, but belittling adults just made this person seem insecure and petty.

I learned more in conversations in the elevator with Powell or Osler than I did in that exercise.
 
I'm not saying it's a good practice, but the professors aren't harsh just to make themselves feel good. I've been in front of judges that dish out more put-downs than I ever saw during PC.

It's called practice court for a reason. The professors feel it is their duty to make us know what it's like in a courtroom. At least I know the PC professors were tough because they cared.

But the judges I've practiced in front of were jerks because they knew they could get away with it, not because they wanted me to learn something.
 
Craig-

I see your point, and I'm not disagreeing with you; my point is that just because it's a long-standing tradition doesn't mean we should continue to put up with it. I'm not sure how you could stand up to a bully judge (other than finding a way to humiliate them outside of the courtroom, which could lead to other problems). Maybe I'm just too idealistic, but I just feel like people should be called out for unacceptable behavior, regardless of their respective positions in life. Who knows.
 
Guys, this was a description of my own ideas on vocation, not a critique of what anyone else does. Does anyone else have a personal idea of vocation? What is it?
 
I understand, Professor Osler. I didn't mean to derail your idea. My idea of personal vocation is something that combines personal satisfaction with the ability to benefit the underprivileged. For now, this has taken the form of a public defender, which I really enjoy (my first choice of viking dinosaur exterminator didn't pay enough to live on). When I retire from the practice of law, I'd like to open a nursery/greenhouse.
 
I think the reason everyone blows right past the vocation comment and goes to the humiliation one is because for most of us, humiliation, not vocation, is the hallmark of our Baylor Experience. I wish it wasn't.

I don't have a personal idea of vocation anymore. I used to. Now all I want is to get paid.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#