Thursday, June 04, 2009

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Tell It To Congess!



Today I received a very nice letter from Rep. John Conyers, the Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, asking that I testify at a hearing this coming Tuesday on a bill which would restrict the use of life without parole sentences for juveniles. I've been scrambling to get my testimony together, but with the assistance of Kaye Johnson and Chris Rusek, I think it will work out fine. The hearing will be at 3:00 on Tuesday in Rayburn 2141. If there is nothing more interesting going on, it will probably be on C-SPAN.

As an academic, there is something really wonderful about getting to speak directly to lawmakers. I know some of my colleagues, such as Tom Featherston, have affirmatively changed Texas law through this route, and it seems so much more efficient than writing articles and then hoping someone reads them.

It doesn't make sense to rehash the topic itself-- Sadly, we have already discussed the subject of life without parole for juveniles. Still, I would like to pose a related question:

If you got two minutes before Congress, what would you urge them to do? Assume (unrealistically) that you would have their undivided attention, and perfect attendance.

Comments:
I would definitely tell them that "I'm not here to talk about the past." Which makes sense, given my past.
 
I would ask them to repeal the federal death penalty.
 
That's pretty cool that you get to do that. You should wear a tie.
 
Of all of your successes and failures as Congressmen and women, nothing will last longer, nothing will haunt you more, nothing will shame you more, than your consistent, repeated inability to pass any kind of meaningful legislation about the environment. Your grandchildren will say, "Granddad (or grandma), why did you allow the coal companies to destroy much of what was good about this planet?" And you'll say, "Votes, my darlings. I thought I needed their money to stay competitive in my next congressional campaign."
You have given your grandchildren a life sentence ... living in a brutually hot, polluted world marked by widespread hunger, thirst, and lung diseases.
Bob
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I would ask them to stop. Get out of our way. And allow the ingenuity, talents, creativity, and dedication of the citizens of this country to work to come up with solutions to our problems.
 
Bob's idea is very very good and compelling. I would ask that they provide additional funding to legal aid programs for low income individuals. In an eloquent way, one would hope. :)
 
I would ask them why, when the voters have given them every single possible indication that they would like to see something, anything, done about almost anything at all they are still frozen in a comatose state. It was telling to see Michael Steele telling Nancy Reagan yesterday that times have changed and current politics require the gloves off approach. Hmm, Mr. Steele, that doesn't seem to be working so much. Perhaps the Gipper had it right by not speaking ill of others.
 
Single payer! Tax carbon emissions! Thank you.
 
Is there a hair cut in your future?
 
No, it doesn't look like it. Manske bailed on me. :( Shaggy it is.
 
It is shameful that people in one of the wealthiest, most advanced nations in the world go without work, homes, food, education or health care. You are a legitimately-seated government, but your position is one of determining the most efficient use of shared resources and allocating those in a just manner. Please kindly stop concerning yourself with divisive "culture war" nonsense and get about your business of serving the public that elected you.
 
Have scissors, will travel
 
I would ask them to stop. To please just stop and go home. To not come back until they've tried to find love as their motivation and practicality as their method and the Constitution as their ethic. Or if they must keep sniping and sh***ing on each other, to at least leave us alone.

That government is best which governs least.
 
Pass National Health Care.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#