Monday, June 09, 2008

 

I love my job, Pt. 1


There are too few of us who really, truly, love our work. Sure, there's Rick Astley and Snuggles the Fabric Softener Bear, but among everyone else, there is not enough joy.

This was brought home to me this weekend in Detroit. I was in line for coffee behind a couple who were talking about their Sunday plans. It was clear that they dreaded Sunday night, because on Monday they had to go back to work. Probably, how you feel on Monday morning tells you a lot about how much you enjoy your work.

I love Monday morning. I love getting to do what I do. Right now I have a Criminal Practice class that is smart, motivated, and interesting, and every day I get to go in and talk to them about how criminal law actually works. I need to be thoroughly prepared, and I am, but that is fun. For each day, I make an outline of the subject to be covered, usually about 6-9 pages, and go over it several times. Then, when I get into class I hardly look at it because it is already in there, and if I hit my groove, I might not look at it at all.

The other big part of my job is to write and think, and I love doing both those things. It is an incredible thing that if I am driving along and have a thought, I can write that down and people in my field might actually take it seriously.

I have no desire for another job. I do not want to be a dean, or a judge, or anything else. I am what I should be, and that brings me great joy.

Comments:
So, when you told me that you wished you could have been the lead guitar player for the MC5 you didn't really mean it?
 
So when you came to class during my years you actually prepared?!
And here I thought you were winging it the whole time...at least it sometimes seemed that way. Might I remind you of your "calendar issues."

Regardless, I still learned alot...like how not to count days using a calendar.
 
Your students are lucky to have a professor who is passionate about their work.
 
I hate Monday mornings.
 
You always seem to have these epiphanies while in Detroit, in line for coffee behind someone else. Where is this magic coffee shop, exactly, and what blend are you drinking? :)
 
Tyd--

Caribou on Kercheval. It was, in fact, the same place where I heard the GM guys.

Dallas ADA-- Yeah, I didn't make that calendar mistake twice!

IP-- I think, actually, I wanted to be the second guitarist (the first was Wayne Kramer), Fred ("Sonic") Smith. Of course, back then he was not only married to Patti Smith, but still alive.
 
I don't care how much I love my job, I will always wish I was playing guitar in any number of bands. Or, if Osler ever gets his hockey team off the ground I would jump at his offer to get between the pipes and eat up vulcanized rubber for a living.

Or, I would just like to win the lottery and then I wouldn't have to think about it at all.
 
Mr. Osler,
As the top person of the MegaSpyConglomerate's Hockey/Criminal Law division based here in Paradise, it deeply saddens me to see that you are not interested in working for us for six months in order to enable your lifelong pension of $600,000 per year.
With regret,
Your Nation
 
I noticed that you didn't think i looked like a secret service agent today. you cut me deep Osler. i actually dressed up because vanessa was upset only she had to wear a suit.

did i commit perjury with my voluntary statement? i think i said the door wasn't locked, in that case i did. however, there is a weak argument to say there was no coercion.
 
"Kick out the Jams, x%&$&$*#!"
MC5

I'd love to see a double bill with the MC5 and Blue Cheer.

RFDIII
 
I'm probably more likely to be John Sinclair, actually, than Wayne Kramer.
 
We almost lost my Mom to that fabric softener bear, back in '79. She still has a limp.
 
Osler there is a Caribou on mack Ave , right? Why would you go to the one on Kercheval then? Unless you were there already... I have heard that GP has changed a lot that there is a Trader Joes there now. Remember when there were all those little stores that sold only ONE THING? Like The Merry Mouse (cheese)? InStitches (needlepoint supplies) Personally Yours (anything monogrammed) and The Lobster Pot? (duh.... they sell lobster). Seems like even GP is going the way of the Walmart thing... or whatever that thing is called when all the indy stores get forced out of Biz by chains stores. But then I am living in the past: I remember in like 5th grade my mom would drop us off at Eastlan in the morning on a Saturday with like ten bucks and we would hang there all day long - go to a movie, get slurpees, look at shoes, try on perfume, lunch at Olga's.... I'll bet people don't do THAT anymore....
Well, I do. I just dropped off Spencer at Safeway and I am gonna pick him up in three hours.....He should be fine....I gave him my Visa.

Hey what do I know? I have not been back to Mich since I left in June 1998. However, it feels like I am still there because I listen to Bob Seger constantly in my goofy little car. I should have bought that Prius I wanted.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#