Thursday, May 15, 2008

 

Octopus on the ice!


Thanks to Dan Sorey and his pals in Daingerfield, Texas, I went up to Dallas last night for the Red Wings/Stars playoff game. The Wings are were up in the series, 3-0, but lost last night's game 3-1. I grew up playing hockey, and played until I moved to Texas. As a kid I was on a few great teams, but not because of me--our goalie was John Vanbiesbrouck (really). We were very hard to score on.

Even though the Wings lost, it was still a blast. Here were some of the highlights:

1) There were lots of Wings fans there, and someone threw an octopus on the ice, which is a Detroit playoff tradition. You might be surprised that there is a link between hockey and seafood, but that's because you are from Texas.

2) Marty Turco (the Stars' goalie) was incredible. The Wings had something like 40 shots on goal (to the Stars 26ish), and he was a wall. The other hero for the Stars was Mike Modano, who scored the winning goal. Here's the deal, though: They are both Michigan guys. Turco is from Sault Ste. Marie (on the border with Michigan), and played for the Univ. of Michigan, while Modano is from Detroit (actually Livonia, a close-in suburb).

3) At the end of the game, the Stars had two penalties and the Wings pulled their goalie, so it was 6-on-3, a total melee, and Turco turned away every shot. Now that's some good hockey!

Comments:
Turco was awesome. For a guy with a rep as a playoff choker, did you know he's never been swept?

And the Beezer was awesome. And I'm sure he has a voodoo doll somewhere of Mike Richter for stealing his job before the Rangers ended the curse and won the Cup.
 
True story about the Beezer: He played goalie for a while before they checked his eyes and found he needed glasses. That's one way to develop your reflexes.
 
I watched that game with the expectations of the Stars losing and being swept. It made it much more fun, especially with the bonus of the Stars actually winning a game!

After finals were over, I went to the Stars/Sharks Game 6, the game that went into 4th OT. It was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to.

I'm sad to learn that you're a fan of the Santa Suits, though, Prof. Osler! I've not gotten over the last time the Stars and Wings met in the Playoffs way back in '98. It's a pity, though... If the Stars had played the rest of the series like they did last night, this would be much more interesting than the inevitability that it is.
 
I demand a picture of Osler in full hockey uniform, pads and all!!! If the Beezer is in the picture then it will be a double bonus!!

The Red Army will win this series, but it was nice to see the Stars show a little backbone.
 
Okay, so what's the connection between hockey and seafood? Just because some fan decided there was a connection? Detroit is not exactly oceanfront (yeah, yeah, I know there's a big lake there, but there ain't no octopus in that lake!)
 
1. Have you ever seen a LIVE octopus? They are the scariest things imaginable. I had dozens of nightmares about them after I visited the Oregon Coast Aquarium and saw one up close.

2. Knowing how disgusting they are ALIVE why would anyone ever want to try to acquire a dead one?

3. I have always hated that Detroit tradition. Its bad for the octopus, certainly but also the crowd... and it certainly does not add to the game.

4. Still, Red Wings RULE!!!!
 
SANTA SUITS?????

Thats a new one...
 
I think they are called the Santa Suits because traditionally they give everything they have in December (and then burn out by the playoffs).
 
In the old days, it took eight wins to win a Stanley cup. an octopus has eight legs. It was symbolic.

One slimy, stinky mass of fleshy symbolism hurled from the stands onto the ice.
 
I was at game 3. Turco was terrible. I was disappointed when no octopus was thrown on the ice when Datsyuk got his hat trick.

Did you scream "RED" during the National Anthem?
 
My FAVORITE Red Wings tradition was the WING NUT hats. They were red hats shaped like actual wing nuts. Kind of like a variation on the CHEESE HAT I guess.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#