Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

Don't Mess With Vic the Demon Pimp

It was an interesting evening. I walked over to the Stadium to see Baylor play its second football game. In retrospect, I made a few mistakes. First off, I wore the opposing team's color, which would be understandable if it was blue or red, but it was this garish Prince-style shade of purple, a bizarre shade which I happen to have an entire shirt of. Second, I made the mistake of referring to the opponent as a Louisiana Directional School before remembering that it is the alma mater of Dan Sorey, the largest member of the heaviest mock trial team in Baylor history-- the famous "Half Ton of Fun" Squad of 2002, which weighed in at over 1,000 pounds for the four members, even with Meredith Campbell contributing barely a hundred pounds of that total.

The game was a blowout 47-10 Baylor win, but that does not mean it wasn't fascinating. Partway through the game, I noticed the Northwestern State (La.) mascot on the opposite sideline. This, uh, thing is apparently named "Vic," and appears to be a composite of features drawn from Eddie Munster, Richard Nixon, a Vulcan, and a goat. After some research, I discovered that Vic is supposed to be a demon pimp of some kind. Wow! Now that's a mascot!

Vic is famous for this fight with the mascot of another Louisiana Directional School. Scary stuff.

Which led me to think that maybe Baylor Law School needs a mascot. Any ideas?

CORRECTION: Dan Sorey has written to me to inform me that he played football at NORTHEAST Louisiana (now Louisiana-Monroe), NOT Northwestern Louisiana. In fact, his alma mater is the home to Chief Big Head who beats up Vic the Demon Pimp in the video. Sorry, Dan. Don't hurt me.

Comments:
First, that was probably one of the funniest videos I've ever seen. Second, in the absence of SoTheBearSays this blog is a much needed and welcomed addition to the Baylor community.
 
Thanks, Mr. Swanburg, I've enjoyed yours... so, what do you think the mascot should be? I'm thinking PeeCee the Barbarian.
 
I was hoping to use this for our softball team, but given the opportunity to name the Baylor Law mascot I like Pee Cee the Masochist.

If however the mascot is supposed to represent the institution rather then the student body we could call him Pee Cee the Sadist.

Either way we could leave the green bear in front of the law school; we’d just need to change his outfit.
 
So, what would Pee Cee the Masochist's outfit be, exactly? And can you get that stuff in the size necessary for an 18-foot bear?
 
I’ll look into it and get back to you but I get the strange feeling we wouldn’t be the first people to dress up an 18’ bear in a black leather costume.
 
It should be Bates' beer.
 
Can "beer" be a mascot? I would think some college would have thought of that already.
 
I think we've been the Baylor Beers since the dawn of time.

Now hand me another shiner!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#