Wednesday, March 07, 2007

 

There's a lot I don't know about the music biz...



Last night, my friends Blaine and Sarah McCormick had a house concert in their living room. Now that I think about it, I remember my parents having house concerts-- there would be some people with guitars and other instruments (ie, washboard, saxophone, spoons) in our living room or out on the porch. Sometimes, my Mom would sing-- we remember her belting out "Me and Bobby McGee" (even if she doesn't and now denies knowing the words). For a while, a bunch of people in the art biz owned an old ferryboat, the Major Wilcox, and we would cruise around on the Major while a jug band played. Among other misadventures, the Major Wilcox slammed into the Belle Isle Bridge and ran aground during an ill-fated detour up the Clinton River, but mostly it was just good times. Legend has it that on one of those trips Momma Cass sang, but I was too young to remember.

The band last night was Jill Phillips and Andy Gullahorn. They were down from Nashville, and they were great. I knew it would be good music when I saw Bob and Mary Darden there, and I was right. Between them, Phillips and Gullahorn have sold over 200,000 cd's-- it must say something about the music business these days that you can do that and still get booked into a living room.

Actually, it says something very specific about the music business these days: That moderately successful artists like Phillips and Gullahorn are getting killed by illegal downloads. So buy one of their songs off of itunes. They get paid for that.

And, think about having a house concert. Blaine and Sarah are now officially Heroes of Social Life in my book.

Comments:
I like music, but I do not have the affinity for the music biz that you do, because I have lived with a luthier and a lot of guitar players over the years. A lot of them are great but a LOT of them are just FREAKS, and I know this because I married their King.

I live UNDERNEATH the music, not behind it. I still LOVE music, and musicians and all of that stuff, though.

Living room concerts sound great!!! I have concerts inside my head a lot.
 
You're forgetting the great concerts we had at the fraternity house, featuring bands like Southland and W&M's own RJ8
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#