Wednesday, December 06, 2006

 

Blaine McCormick is My Hero of Music Procurement



My friend Blaine, who teaches negotiation, writes books, and does mysterious dean things at the Baylor School of Business, is my newest hero of music procurement. Knowing that I collect Christmas music, he called last week to recommend the new Sufjean Stevens album, "Songs for Christmas."

My two favorite songs are "Going to the Country" and "Come on! Let's Boogie to the Elf Dance!" They are rare among Christmas music in that they mix secular and Christian imagery. Plus, lots of it is pretty clever. For example, "Let's Boogie" has these lines:



"21 elves
They are all singing:
'Kmart is closed!'"

That's my kind of elf.


UPDATE: I forgot an important fact about Blaine. Last year I decided to write a book called "Snugotiations: Snuggle for Success in Business & Personal Negotiations!" Blaine talked me out of it. It was a pretty bad idea.

Comments:
My new "Rockabilly Christmas" CD kicks butt.

But my favorite Christmas tune remains "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Foghat.
 
I was always partial to the Alvin and the Chipmunks favorite, "Christmas Don't Be Late". Can't beat the golden harmonica.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#