Sunday, October 04, 2026
Sunday Reflection: Denominations
Over the decades, I have worshipped as part of many types of congregations: UCC, Baptist, Episcopal, Society of Friends, Covenant, and others.
None of them have really mirrored my theology. These days, I am mostly Episcopalian, for example, but I'm not a creedalist-- Jesus said "Take no oath," after all-- so when the Nicene Creed is recited I stand there mute and awkward like some kind of reprobate.
Setting aside the thousands on non-denominational churches in the U.S., there are hundreds of denominations just within the larger Christian faith, all the result of some historical schism over belief or practice. And yet... none of them exactly mirror the deepest beliefs of many of their members.
In the end, I have found that what I need from a church is tolerance; that is tolerance of my own diversions from their doctrine, and tolerance for doubt. "All are welcome" doesn't really ring true many places, I have found.
And yet, I keep coming.


