Tuesday, August 18, 2026
The quiet places
I often encourage my students to look for jobs outside of the big urban areas-- and sometimes I wish that I had done exactly that. For prosecutors, for example, there are great opportunities in offices of just a few people, where you can have much more responsibility faster than in a huge urban office. Plus, it fills a true community need.
This election cycle, no one is running for County Attorney in Red Lake County, Minnesota... and, as it turns out no one can, as there are no licensed attorneys living in that county. Two other counties in Minnesota have at least one attorney, but no one is running for that position.
I suspect that the job market will tighten soon, and perhaps that will force people to consider going outstate-- but it would be great if something drove them beyond necessity. Those places need not only prosecutors, but defense attorneys and people who can do the basic blocking-and-tackling work of civil law.
Certainly, law is not alone in this-- medicine has long suffered from similar "deserts." It could be that we need to work harder to ensure that everyone has access to the services they need.
Comments:
<< Home
My daughter in law is specializing in rural medicine (4th year med student). She says it’s fun because of the variety of patients she sees and the skills she’s building early in her career.
Post a Comment
<< Home



