Tuesday, August 04, 2026

 

Some truths about Abdul Al-Sayed

 

Today is the US Senate primary in Michigan, and it is a hotly-contested race on the Democratic side between Haley Stevens and Abdul Al-Sayed. I've read and heard a lot about it, and have to say I'm surprised by some takes on it.

Haley Stevens seems like a wholly-owned creation of the Democratic establishment. After Joe Biden's disastrous debate performance she put all objectivity aside and was still all-in on his candidacy ("I trust our president, and know that he is the one to finish the job"), and frankly I'm pretty tired of that whole crowd. 

Al-Sayed is described in some places like some street fighter whose platform is communism. Not exactly. Here are some actual facts about him:

-- He's from Rochester Hills, a relatively affluent suburb of Detroit. Both of his parents are engineers (which is pretty common in Detroit).

-- He went to the University of Michigan, then went to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. 

-- Then he went to Columbia Medical School and graduated with an MD.

-- Since then, he has worked in public health, as the head of that department first in Detroit and then in Wayne County.

Personally, it might not be a bad thing to have people from public health in government right now....



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#