Wednesday, August 12, 2026
On Minnesota
People often ask me what it is like to live in Minnesota-- I was recently in DC visiting IPLawGuy and fielded the question a few times. Usually, the question is couched in one of two ways: either with "I heard it is a great place to live," or (more commonly) "how do you stand the winters?"
The first supposition is true: Minnesota is a great place to live, with a strong economy, beautiful spaces, and fun things to do (not to mention an international airport that lets you get anywhere else pretty quickly). Sure, my baseline has been Waco and Detroit, but still, it's been wonderful.
And yes, we have cold winters. But like a lot of people here I enjoy that. I not only enjoy the change of seasons, but I enjoy extremes: that super-hot day where the heat lifts off the pavement in waves and the stone cold January day where stepping outside takes your breath away. We get that here. And the winter is the most beautiful time of the year.
Unlike Detroit where winter is pretty gray, we get sunny winters for the most part, and there is nothing quite like it....


