Thursday, April 11, 2024

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Tired of it all

 


As I read about the upcoming election, I often come across a new phrase "election fatigue." I like it, and I totally get it, and man am I feeling it.

For a lot of us, we're tired of all the yelling and fear-mongering. I get emails from both parties telling me that if I don't send them money so they meet their "quarterly deadline" or whatever, then all is lost and we will cease to exist as a nation. It's ridiculous. And it seems to be getting worse. 

More than anything, living with this all-caps form of fundraising and communicating more generally within the political sphere is like listening to music that is too loud-- after a while you just want it to go away.

The truth is that there are important issues that should be talked about: relations with China, climate change, the national debt, abortion, industrial policy, health care.... but it is rare to hear a deep or nuanced take on any of this anymore. There once was a time that political opponents like George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton would drone on for weeks about such things as if they really mattered-- which was great, because they did (and do). 

Are you a little worn out?

Comments:
Exhausted. I turn it all off on the weekend and limit TV consumption of news in the morning and afternoon. A little NPR in the background is enough.
 
Not only am I worn out, but I feel isolated and estranged from long time friends, and even parts of my family. The younger generation are the only ones that I am comfortable being around these days. I lived through the turmoil of the 60’s, and remember the generation gap of those days, but this time I feel estranged from many from my own generation. Sorry this was not a haiku
 
Hey, "Old" guy-- I hear you. It's different in Minnesota, though-- many kindred spirits in all generations.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#