Sunday, February 25, 2024

 

Sunday Reflection: On the Shore

 


So many of my favorite parts of the Gospels happen on the shore: Jesus calling the disciples as they are fishing, for example, and my favorite part of the whole Bible where Jesus makes breakfast for his followers after his resurrection. And this in a place that was largely desert!

There is something about the shore that seems to be a fulcrum for connecting with the world and something greater than ourselves. Yes, people love the beach, even if they aren't really doing anything-- they just love to be there

To me, the allure of the shore is that it is this breaking point between land and water, between the known and the unknown. We are safe on the land, but the water is full of danger. Some people venture in; others don't. Even the sounds are different than anywhere else, the sound of waves coming in, one after another, gently relentless. 

My brother sent me the photo above, of my dad and I on the shore in Michigan. He was, I guess, on that line between the known and unknown. Did I know that?



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#