Sunday, January 14, 2024

 

Sunday Reflection:

 

There are some people I see that I just... I want to know what it is they are talking about. Like these guys I furtively photographed yesterday. (And yeah, I was not in Minnesota-- this was back in Waco). 
 
When I was a kid, someone told me that everyone has something interesting about them, and over the years I have found that to be true. The trick is to get them to talk about it, sometimes. We all sometimes protect the things that are most important to us, after all. We hide our light under a bushel, as Jesus described it.
 
I wish we talked to each other more often. But, as an introvert, the lack of that is usually my fault in any given situation. Sometimes, on a plane for example, I find myself in conversation with someone and that fascinating thing comes out. This world is full of amazing people. They are walking right by you on the street, eating at the next table, waiting for the bus as you drive past. We would all be better off if there were bubbles over each of us, announcing what our real deal is. But lacking that, we'll just have to ask...

Comments:
Mark, I have long had the same curiosity about the strangers I see in passing. What (remarkable?) stories do they have to share that I will never know? I read Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway for a lit class during college. I found it to be a fascinating book, both through Woolf’s extensive use of internal dialogue and the way she captures the (often familiar) strangers that populate all our lives. What are their stories? As you suggest, traveling often creates totally random opportunities to hear these stories told. Fascinating.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#