Thursday, January 11, 2024

 

PMT: And... Christie is out

 

Just a week before the Iowa caucuses, former New Jersey governor and Trump friend-turned-enemy dropped out of the presidential race.
 
On the way out, he had a fun hot mic moment, in which he said to the world at large that Nikki Haley was "going to get smoked, and you and I both know it," and that rival Ron DeSantis was "petrified." Oops. That certainly makes endorsing either unlikely (though it was already unlikely, unless Haley or DeSantis became willing to disown Trump and his followers). 
 
Christie was, actually, the one in the Republican race who seemed to make the most sense when he talked, which is an important attribute in a president. He was also the most moderate, and this is not a time when that's successful in a Republican primary. 
 
I called IPLawGuy to get his take on all this, but I got him as he was driving to the "South of the Border" truck stop in South Carolina for something in his unrestored 1973 Gremlin convertible, so it was hard to hear.  "He...  no way.... ice cream.... leather helmet... get out!" was the best I could make of it.  So I'll have to circle back to him on that.

Comments:
Yes, its true. I picked this hot number in Racine: https://barnfinds.com/1974-amc-gremlin-convertible/

Anyhow, Christie never stood a chance, but he raised some hell.

All I know is that Team Biden needs to start looking pro-active on immigration. I know a lot the Democratic base doesn't want the U.S. to be mean to migrants. And I get that. I believe in the message of the Statue of Liberty and I believe in Christian Charity.

HOWEVER, if you think the measures that Biden could and should put in place are draconian, let me tell you about what a new Trump administration would do!

To my mind, Immigration is the issue that Biden could lose on. In 1992, Clinton (thanks to Carville and Stephanopoulos) ran and won on "It's the Economy, Stupid!" But its been clear for many cycles now that "culture" beats economic factors for the small band of persuadable voters.
 
Wise words indeed. But, that car...
 
I fell down a rabbit hole full of articles about AMC's design department and marketing failures.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#