Sunday, September 17, 2023

 

Sunday Reflection: Not quite perfect

 About 30 years ago, I bought a towel at the Lands End "Not Quite Perfect" store. It was colorful and soft, and big enough to lie down on if you found yourself at the beach. In script near the edge it was inscribed "Lisa Jacboson."

I've loved that towel for a lot of reasons. It is a pretty good towel, as those things go. It has lived in three states with me. And I kind of love the idea of running into the Jacboson family at the beach and having Lisa demand her towel back.

[Yes, I realize that probably they just mis-spelled "Jacobson," but don't mess with my fantasy]

My point is that what makes the towel my favorite is that, as promised, it is imperfect. That's what makes it interesting and unique. 

The people I admire most have an imperfection; some have struggled with that, others have embraced it, but their imperfection is part of the whole that I love.

If we are creations of God, it doesn't make sense at one level that we have imperfections. But at another level it totally fits.

Consider, for example, evolution. It is the imperfections that allow a species to improve, to adapt. It seems, really, to be part of God's plan.

And let me know if you run into Lisa Jacboson....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#