Wednesday, August 23, 2023

 

Wiliiam and Mary Football: Gunning for a Championship!

 

I was idly flipping through the ESPN website yesterday when I happened upon the preseason rankings for Division I-AA. I was shocked by two things. First, my current school, St. Thomas, which jumped from Division III all the way to the almost-big-time just last year, actually was among the group receiving votes (30). The other surprise was that my own alma mater, William and Mary, with 510 votes, was ranked number 4 in the nation!
 
As I do whenever I find surprising news, I called up fellow W & M alum IPLawGuy. It was a little hard to hear him because he was bombing his unrestored 1968 Pontiac GTO down highway 694 outside Odricks Corner (he refused to say why he was going to Odricks Corner) while listening to Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Not Fragile" album at full volume. 
 
I was able to ascertain that IPLG wasn't surprised by the team's high expectations, given that they won their conference and made it to the quarterfinals of the national playoffs last year. He also had these intriguing facts about the team (from what I could tell):
 
-- Their best player is named "John Pius." Really.
-- 17 starters return from last year.
-- The new mascot is "Glorbin the Gummy Bear"
-- Their first game is against the "Campbell Camels."
 
Hmmmm... maybe I should go to homecoming this year!

Comments:
Fun fact: The traffic at Odrick's Corner is usually backed up in all directions at the one stoplight.

I do pass through there about once a month, especially if I am going to the Walmart or points west (like Leesburg) after picking up or dropping off IPLawson at his mother's.

I WISH I had a 68 GTO

BTO rocks

And yes, the Tribe is good and will do well as it has most years. Its path to the top is clearer now that JMU has graduated from Div. IAA and is a full time Div I team.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#