Sunday, August 13, 2023

 

Sunday Reflection: A Year Away

 

I've alluded before to a new adventure here-- and no, despite the picture above, I will not be driving the Wienermobile (though I think I would be pretty good at that).
 
Instead, starting tomorrow, I am taking a one-year leave of absence from my teaching gig to serve as the Deputy Hennepin County Attorney and head of the criminal division. That means I'll be supervising the prosecutors in Minneapolis and its suburbs. In some ways it is a big change from what I have been doing, and in some ways it is not-- after all, I was a prosecutor before, and I've been teaching people how to do this for the past 23 years.
 
Vocation is a tricky thing, and we all need new challenges now and then. This will make me a better teacher, and I'm hoping that I will be good at the job, as well. A significant number of the people I will be supervising were my students at one point!
 
I'm fortunate to be working with an elected official I really believe in, and will be serving a community I have come to love. The adventure begins!

Comments:
Congrats! I hope this is a great new adventure for you! (Desiree)
 
Can't lie, Professor, mixed personal feelings about seeing you step away from the amazing work you've been doing, but I know they will be lucky to have you. Good luck!
 
Hennepin County will be fortunate to have your service. And when you return to teaching, your students will be fortunate to have the benefit of your experience (again) as a deputy county attorney/criminal division. But mostly I wish for you what this move gives YOU. There's a word I love -- zhuzh -- it means to improve, dress up, make better. Having made a move away from my own comfort zone recently, I know what it means to step away from what you know to zhuzh up your life. :-) Here's hoping this move zhuzhes up your life in all the ways you want it to.
 
P.S. If you ever do get the Weinermobile gig, I'd love to ride shotgun.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#