Sunday, August 20, 2023

 

Sunday Reflection: John Belew

 

On August 9, a remarkable man passed away in Waco. I didn't really get to know John Belew until he was 100 years old, not long after COVID hit. In those few years, I was one of thousands who benefited from his wisdom, insight, and fundamental decency. 
 
You can read his full obituary here, and you should.  He was born in Waco in 1920, only two years after the end of the First World War. He was of that generation that survived the Great Depression, fought in World War Two, and then worked to make this country a better place. 
 
He got a bachelor's degree from Baylor, a Ph.D. in chemistry from Wisconsin and returned to Baylor to teach in 1956. He later served as Provost from 1979-1991, then turned to international education.
 
I missed all of that.
 
Instead, I got to know him from a COVID-prompted online Bible study with some of my friends from Waco and my parents. John and his son Jay were there every week, and their insights changed everything. My father, in particular, took more from the two of them (and embraced it) than he had from any faith leaders in his preceding 85 years. The group was full of scholars and experts, but everyone hushed when John spoke. I will very much miss those moments. I know that my dad probably thought "that's what I want to be like at 100."
 
A year and a half ago, I gave a talk at Baylor. Something happened in that auditorium that almost never happens to me: I stopped talking. I was struck mute by what I saw: 100-year-old John Belew coming into the room, having apparently driven himself over. 
 
When someone dies at 102, people inevitably say "well, he had a long and full life." That's true, but it is also true that the world will be worse off without John Belew in it, and that he will be missed in a real and active way by those whose lives he touched. I was blessed to be one of them.

Comments:
Dear Mark,

Your words have moved me to tears, Mark. Your tribute is inspired. Sonia read it earlier today and told me I must read it at once. Words cannot be found to appropriately express our deep gratitude to you.

I deeply miss your wonderful dad, John Osler! His artworks continue to move me every time I behold their endless messages of hope and love, as I enjoy their gentle appearances behind your mom Phyllis each Sunday we meet for the wonderful Bible Study that continues unabated, save for a few summer Sundays when all of us were vacationing or being with family.

Blessings and love,

Jay Belew
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#