Wednesday, July 12, 2023

 

On the trail

 

Yesterday, like many days when the weather is good, I rode my bike into work (in fact, on the path pictured above, through Arden Park). Minneapolis has a pretty good bike infrastructure, and I can go much of the way on dedicated bike paths or multi-use paths.
 
It's pretty common here-- especially around the lakes-- to find separate paths for pedestrians and bikes, running parallel. It's the one form of segregation I support! The bike paths, too, are often one-way around the lakes. It's a great feature of the community-- and in part a product of the fact that nearly all the land around lakes in parkland rather than houses, thanks to wise planning in the 1800's. 
 
There are dangers, though: earbuds. Increasingly, on the multi-use paths, people are oblivious to their surroundings as they walk and listen to a podcast or music. It means they don't hear those of us on bikes approach, even when we call out "on your left."
 
Worse is the situation where someone with earbuds is walking on the dedicated bike lane. I mean... c'mon, there is a walking path 7 feet away!
 
I understand the desire to listen to something... but the sounds of the water and the wind and even the city can be pretty worthwhile, too.  Am I right, CraigA?

Comments:
Right, Mark. In my frequent bike rides on dedicated bike trails, and more so, on multi-use trails my non-scientific sample suggests that up to 90% -/+ of walkers are wearing earbuds these days. Harder to determine, I notice a good number of bikers wearing earbuds. Like Mark I try to make ample use of bike etiquette when passing walkers … and bikers … and quite clearly they do not hear me when wearing earbuds. If I shout at them I run the risk of freaking them out and sounding like a jerk. It is a concern for bikers with earbuds as well. Without earbuds I am constantly monitoring car traffic, with both my eyes and ears. It strikes me earbuds for walkers and bikers are dangerous for all involved on multi-use and dedicated bike paths. Our local paper recently published data about the increase number of bikers being hit by cars in recent years. I have not seen any “earbud data,” nonetheless, it is an increasing concern. Plus, I love the quiet and listening to the birds when I ride!
 
As I former runner, I never understood why anyone would wear earbuds while running. I wanted to be very aware of other people running, biking, strolling etc. Animals too!

The same is true while biking. Especially in crowded areas.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#