Sunday, June 25, 2023

 

Sunday Reflection: On Women and Church

 

Over 170 years ago, in Seneca Falls, New York, the Declaration of Sentiments issued at the Seneca Falls convention contained the words above.
 
And still... nearly two centuries later two of our largest religious entities-- the Southern Baptist Convention and the Catholic Church-- bar women from ministry.  It's a tragedy that these institutions continue to exclude half the population from leadership. 
 
The loss is very real. If the Christian church as a whole is to thrive again, it will have to acknowledge the gifts of all people. The patriarchy stifles full human flourishing-- just as it always has. 
 
Churches struggle to change, I know, and that might be a challenge for the Catholics, but the Baptists changed towards excluding women only 23 years ago. 
 
Those with power rarely cede it willingly, and that is certainly true of men. But ceding power is at the center of the Christian faith-- it is a part of so much of what Christ taught, over and over. Perhaps it is time to heed that lesson.

Comments:
Amen!!!
 
And...ceding power creates freedom. I've found when I've let go of trying to control EVERYTHING, I have so much more freedom to pursue what is truly important to me. So, not only do I gain the wisdom of those I cede power to, I also discover more freedom to pursue ideas and creativity that I can bring to the work that is important to me. Truly, ceding power to those who deserve it benefits everyone. Too bad the Catholic and Southern Baptist churces haven't realized this...yet. (But I continue to have hope they will)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#