Sunday, May 14, 2023

 

Sunday Reflection: Christian Nationalism

 It's hard to see American Christianity get hijacked in some places by people who are conflating the faith with nationalistic politics. At the heart of this movement is a simple belief: That Christianity (well, a certain version of it) should direct the US government. They would say, in short, that Jesus is the true head of the country.

There are a few problems with that. One is that Jesus taught us not to do the exact things they want: take oaths, judge others, and control (rather than love) our neighbors. 

The second problem is that in Luke 4:5 we find this, after Jesus is sent into the desert to face temptation at the beginning of his ministry:
 
 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. If you worship me, it will all be yours.”Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’[c]
 
 So, it was Satan who tried to get Jesus to have power over governments. That should be pretty directive, don't you think???

Sigh. Anyways, Sweden won Eurovision, but their song was as great as this 2013 Danish winner:




Comments:
Interesting that the Eurovision winner from Sweden, Loreen, was a repeat winner. I did not know that once you won Eurovision, you could enter again. Evidently, Ireland has a repeat winner also - Johnny Logan. Who knew?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/05/14/swedens-loreen-wins-eurovision-song-contest/

oh yeah about the whole Christians-should-be-in-charge-of-government thingy - yeah, not a fan. Even though I'm a Christian myself. My faith is my foundation. But my government, I want it to be about how I'm able to live my faith/foundation within a system that works for everyone. Just because my faith is right for me doesn't mean it's right for anybody else.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#