Wednesday, May 31, 2023

 

Sharing grief

 

Good friends are there when you need them. IPLawGuy came out for the memorial for my dad; he lost his own dad a few years ago. It meant a lot to have him there, along with a lot of other people from different parts of my dad's life.
 
One of my jobs at the service was to marshal people who wanted to speak. I had Eric and Karen Frakes and Jeff Plansker go around and take the names of those who wanted to speak, and then I called them up. I didn't know what any one of them would say. In retrospect, it could have been a disaster.
 
But... it wasn't. Everyone had something important in common: we all were experiencing grief over the death of this person who touched so many lives. I figured that people would approach the task with respect and brevity, and they did.
 
Some people would say that's the holy spirit; others would say it is the inherent goodness in people. And it could, of course, be both.

Comments:
You should add that many, if not all, included humor in their remarks. Your Dad was a funny, charming man who saw the lighter side of life in almost everything. And the many funny stories that were told and re-told reflected that important part of his personality.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#