Wednesday, April 26, 2023

 

The In-Between Season


 I have this friend, IPLawGuy, who is all in for his favorite baseball team, the Washington "Nationals." He has season tickets, takes kids to the games, fills out a scorecard, and cares about the team from the first game until the end of the season (for the "Nationals") in late August. It carries him through a big chunk of the year, and going to a "Nationals" game with him is pretty fun. 

Sadly, I don't have that kind of thing going. My interest in sports begins in early September with the start of college football, peaks during college football championship week, fades during the bowl games, revives to some degree for March Madness, then subsides until the next fall. 

Don't get me wrong-- I go to the occasional Twins game and enjoy it. Last February, for my birthday, I went to a Red Wings game and had a blast. But I just don't find myself following along with sustained interest. For example, the NBA and NHL are well into their playoff seasons, and I have no idea who is still playing. 

Maybe I need to go to DC and watch the "Nationals" with IPLawGuy and watch how he does is....

Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Baseball stats are sort of quantifiable. We can look at what happened in 1906 or 1924 or 1952, etc. and compare to today. LOTS of things have changed over the years, but the basics have not.

Last night, the woeful Nats beat the New York Mets, who went and bought some expensive free agents, yet have nothing to show for it.

Unlike Football, I don't have to wait a week for another game. They play again tonight!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
That IS a good thing about baseball....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#