Tuesday, January 24, 2023

 

First Day!

 

Today is the first day of the second semester. I'll have 80 first year students ready to learn some criminal law (I hope) bright and early in the morning. I teach three classes in the spring: criminal law, sentencing, and my clemency clinic.
 
I get a little keyed up before the first class-- anxious about doing well, nervous about the public speaking, and worried I'll mess it up somehow. I'm an introvert, so it's not something that comes naturally (the writing part of the job actually is a better fit for my personality). However, introverts often make good public speakers; the theory is that they have to try harder, and I can testify to that (if I have to, but preferably by written testimony).
 
People sometimes ask why, if I don't really favor public speaking, I do so much of it outside of teaching. The answer is this: There are some things I care about a lot, and if I want to advocate for something that kind of engagement goes with the territory. 
 
But today, I'll be back in the saddle in class, waving my hand overhead and yelling "and furthermore...!"

Comments:
I like that— introverts (and shy people) have to try harder. And it’s worth it when you really care about the subject. I try to engage the students in a conversation, rather than a lecture. Always wear clothes that don’t show nervous sweat. And an interpretive dance of bird lek behavior never hurts. (Desiree)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#