Wednesday, November 02, 2022

 

The problem of throwaway furniture

 


I was shocked to read just how much furniture we are buying for short-term use-- the kind from IKEA or Wayfair that is built to last for five years or so. According to the New York Times, this kind of "fast furniture" is one reason we are tossing 12 million tons of furniture every year. 

Sure, I've been to IKEA-- my favorite part is the set-up of a tiny apartment of 400 or 600 square feet, imagining if I could be happy in that kind of small space. But much of the furniture I use has been around for a while. I have one blue love seat that I bought from the lobby of my gym (it was going under) that is super-solid and looks exactly the same as when I bought it in 1996. There is another blue loveseat which came from my parents' basement and my mother had refinished that has been in constant use for 30 years and probably had a good 70 before that. It's perfect. In front of it as a Danish modern coffee table from my parent's pre-children era that is kinda beaten up (and bears a saw mark on one side), but it's just right in front of the fireplace.

We do throw too much away, a decision made when we buy something shoddy made of pressboard. Of course, often there are not other choices that people can afford. But we can do better with re-using what we have, I suspect.

Comments:
Its revolting. If you like good, solid furniture, go to a Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill or similar place. LOTS of great stuff on for sale. Some of it flawless... other pieces just need some TLC
 
In 1970, I rescued a petit grandma size rocking chair with a broken leg and a matching little foot stool. I repaired the rocker (no one can find the break) and still have and use a fantastic piece that will draw $$$ when I decide to sell it.

In 1980, I built a wood bend stand for a king size mattress using oak surfaces. It has three drawers on two opposite sides 16x24x12 inches on easy drawer supports. It has survived 9 moves and a great deal of use.

Oak dresser and chest of drawers have survived 8 of those moves and are still in excellent condition except for a bit of damage made by the moving crew the one time we hired a "professional" mover instead of doing it ourselves.
 
We recently moved and turned over to the local Habitat a washer and dryer, both not quite two years old and two window air conditioners of similar age and use, having no use for them in our new home.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#