Thursday, November 10, 2022

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: IPLawguy's Take

 


IPLawGuy is one of the more astute political observers I know. Over the last 40 years, I have learned a lot from him. He was a Reagan Republican who worked for John McCain for 6 years, but who has drifted from the Republican party of late-- or, I should say, the Republican party moved away from him over the past decade. His comments yesterday were intriguing, so I am reposting them here:

I am only bummed, not crushed, by the results. I had figured that Texas and Florida were lost causes, but I had really hoped Tim Ryan could take out bona fide phony JD Vance in Ohio. Ryan was one of the smarter Democrats who actually made it a point to address the issues that voters cared about.

Its hard to break the narrative, but the exit interviews I've seen confirm my belief that the most decisive issue was the selfish one: inflation in general and gas prices in particular. The other big one - crime. And for some reason, too many Americans have bought into the ideas that crime is rampant.

Tragically, the Gun issue is not going to switch votes. Opinions and votes are set in stone. Same deal with abortion

As much as I would like to think "democracy" matters, the undecided voters and hard to motivate voters are not going to be excited by that. If they were, they wouldn't be undecided or hard to motivate.

Let me just say this about Texas. I don't live there, didn't see ANY of the advertising, etc. But I DO NOT GET why the entire campaign wasn't about the failed power grid.

Uvalde and other mass shootings were tragic. I am furious about the gun issue. But.....being pro gun control is NOT A WINNING ISSUE IN TEXAS!!

Maybe Beto focused on the Grid, but the national press focused on his liberal positions and charm.

Also. Wisconsin. I DO NOT GET the appeal of Ron Johnson.

Again, I do not live there etc., but Barnes let himself get painted as some sort of commie. His record and past statements were millstones he could not shake. This seems like a HUGE missed opportunity.

I agree with all of this-- especially the part about Ron Johnson. It just baffles me that anyone looks at him and hears what he says and thinks "That's my guy!"

Comments:
I think some States need to analyze the campaign in Michigan; Elissa Slotkin in Oakland County comes to mind. We also need more Citizen initiatives to remove the making of legislative maps from our State elected officials and into the hands of independent non-partisan commissions.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#