Sunday, September 18, 2022

 

Sunday Reflection: faith and school


 I spent the end of this week at Touro Law School out on Long Island at the conference of Religiously-Affiliated Law Schools.  I was on the organizing committee, and was really happy to see many of my old friends from schools that are linked to Jewish, Protestant, and Catholic entities. It was at one of these gatherings that I first got to know Ken Starr (the subject of a piece I have in the Waco Tribune Herald today-- you can read that here).

It's worth it to be engaged with groups like this. I really believe in what we are able to do at these schools for the students who really desire to study and develop a vocation in an environment that can build and draw from their faith. It's not for everyone-- teacher or student-- but it is for some the right kind of place. 

It's no mistake that I've spent my entire teaching career at schools that are affiliated with the Baptist (Baylor) and Catholic (St. Thomas) faiths. Because my own goals and actions are (usually) so tied to my religious beliefs, I probably would not fit in very well at a secular institution. 

The most important thing I do is teach. It's a joy to have that be integrated with what is in my heart.


Comments:
This is so good, Mark.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#