Sunday, August 14, 2022

 

Sunday Reflection: Still learning

 


Many times I approach my dad to find him hunched over some problem-- how to paint something, a broken machine of some kind, or searching for the right word. He often mutters the same thing when I greet him: "I'm trying to figure this thing out."

And usually he does. But I love that he is still trying to figure things out (as I do). When I was a kid, I imagined that people get to a point in life where they pretty much had everything figured out. As an adult, I've run into a bunch of people who certainly act that way, too! But the ones I like are the ones who know that they haven't figured it all out, like my parents. The world is still full of mystery, for them and for me,

I still have to figure almost everything out. And the more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know. In a way, I guess that is the knowledge we really acquire: to know the shape of how much we do not know. 

People sometimes tell me that the Bible has the answer to everything, which is kind of baffling. If it does, those answers seem to be very different for different people. What I get from it are great principles and great questions, which in their way are the deepest truths of all.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#