Tuesday, July 26, 2022

 

Working

 


Every summer, I tell myself it is going to be time for some time off-- a little "self care" after a busy year. But it rarely works out that way, and this summer has been no exception.

Usually, some special project crops up and sucks up most of my time and energy, and that has happened once again. Our County Attorney asked me to head up a committee to come up with ideas to combat a rise in violent crime, and, well... you can imagine. I have great people on my committee and I think we are moving towards something really good, but wow it takes a lot of effort to make anything actually move.

Then last week I found myself in NYC and DC for academic and advocacy events. I worked on a mentoring project and presented a paper at "CrimFest," which is one of my favorite academic meetings. Yeah, it sounds like a festival of crime, but it is pretty much just people like me comparing notes. Then I headed to DC for an event at the Rayburn House Office Building, where I interviewed the Pardon Attorney and served on a panel to talk about clemency for those convicted of marijuana offenses in places where what they did is not legal under state law. 

On the public safety project, I hope to be able to say more soon....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#