Friday, July 22, 2022

 

Haiku Friday: The good insects

 


I've noticed something missing from summer lately: the Monarch butterflies that migrate this way in a normal year. It turns out their numbers have crashed due to climate change and habitat loss. 

Still, there are the fat bumblebees that fill the back yard. Let's haiku about some of our favorite insects this week. Here, I will go first:

I watch them at work
The buzzy, busy fat bees
They have returned.

Now it is your turn! Just use the 5/7/5 syllable formula and have some fun!

Comments:
I do love crickets
Musicians of the summer
Singing to us all.
 
Crickets, honeybees,
and moths--from omnipresent
to wholly absent.

We do have spiders
that the old cat eats, keeping
the vet in clover.
 

At dusk on the lake
a dragonfly drifts through a
cloud of mosquitoes
 
I will again this
summer donate my blood to
local mosquitoes.

We will give sweetness
to all of the visiting
butterflies once more,

I am willing to
lose some bits of my ankles
to vicious black flies,

We will excuse the
wasps, hornets, honeybee stings
as being our fault

but when no-see-ums
fly into my eyes when both
of my hands are full

I rethink all of
my thoughts about the goodness
of mother nature


 
Cicada summer
brings magical creatures to
the surface with us.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#