Sunday, June 12, 2022

 

Sunday Reflection: Summer and time

 


For someone like me who lives on the academic calendar, summer is just different. I still have a lot to do-- I spent this week writing, which is real work-- but time seems to be cut up into bigger chunks, and there is less rush. I know that time itself proceeds apace regardless of what I am up to, of course, but the perception of it is just different.

For one thing, I think more deeply in the summer. That's probably because I am writing, and that requires me to analyze and dig at what I know (and, importantly, what I do not know).  But even as the temperature is different and the world outside is different, the world inside my mind is different, too.

There is this, right? Which seems to say that time should be different from time to time...

Ecclesiastes 3 (NRSV)

For everything there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill and a time to heal;
a time to break down and a time to build up;
a time to weep and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek and a time to lose;
a time to keep and a time to throw away;
a time to tear and a time to sew;
a time to keep silent and a time to speak;
a time to love and a time to hate;
a time for war and a time for peace.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#