Sunday, May 29, 2022

 

Sunday Reflection: Seagulls, all

 

When I was a kid, there was this sense of the world that rested on a hierarchy.  We kids lived in a world of adults, who were older and wiser and would guide us to good decisions. Over time, as I became an adult, I had a similar, related belief: that there were wise people among us who would make good decisions in governing and leading our society. Soaring eagles, who saw things the rest of us didn't.
 
Then, at midlife, I found myself among those leaders. Some were my classmates from law school, or those in government that I work with, Some are good and some are not so good. But none are soaring eagles; we are all seagulls.
 
Jesus seems to see the world that way. He, of course, had knowledge none of us do-- if there was a soaring eagle, it was him. But he seemed to acknowledge the fallibility of the rest of us. The 5,000 on the hillside were not differentiated-- there was no VIP section. The two great commandments talk of God, and then all of us. That's pretty much it, isn't it? 
 
And I like being a seagull. 

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#