Sunday, May 01, 2022

 

Sunday Reflection: Denominational slices



One of the data sets I study closely is the Pew Research Center's Religious Landscape Study, which surveyed about 35,000 people in all 50 states about their beliefs and affiliations with religious denominations. They completed the survey most recently in 2014, and it is time for a new one-- I am anxious to see the effect that the pandemic has had on religious affiliations and beliefs. My hunch is that it will shocking (at least to church leaders). 

One great tool is that you can break down the data by state, revealing the striking differences between distinct parts of the country. For example, in Alabama, 86% of the population identifies as Christian, with 49% of the population identifying as Evangelical Christians (as distinct from the 7% who identify as Catholic, 16% who identify as "traditionally Black Protestant" and 13% who identify themselves as part of mainstream Protestant churches).  Meanwhile, in Vermont only 54% identify as Christian, and only 11% describe themselves as Evangelical. Alabama and Vermont have very different cultures, and this disparity is a part of that difference.

Every time I see these surveys, though, they lead me to this goofy exercise where I break down the percentage of Mark Osler that can be identified with each faith. I think this is the current breakdown:

Mainline Protestant:   44%
Other Christian:          26% (Society of Friends)
Evangelical:               15%             
Catholic:                    10%
Agnostic:                     3%
Jewish:                         1%
Mormon:                      1%

Yeah, I'm kind of a mess-- but I've never been one to make my faith about a denomination. And I'm sure that Mormons would be appalled at the idea of being 1% Mormon (and also upset, apparently, about being called Mormons).

What's your mix?



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#