Wednesday, April 20, 2022

 

The Pivot to Writing

 


One thing I love about my job is the rhythm of it-- this season shift from teaching, to grading, to writing, and back again. The tasks are profoundly different: Teaching is entirely social, and all about interacting with others. In a way, it is putting on a show. Writing (and, to a lesser extent, grading) is a solitary endeavor, one where you have to be comfortable with quiet and one's own thoughts. 

I'm an introvert, so the writing part is more natural to me than the teaching-- I have to kind of force myself up there to perform. (I've gotten better at it, though-- the graduating students chose me as the "Professor of the Year" this year).  That means that the end of the school year is kind of an exhale moment for me.

I try not to be the kind of writer that Calvin describes above. I want to make complicated things simple, not complicate simple things (which is what too much academic writing does).  My own style has evolved, but I think it's in a good place now. Here are a couple of recent things I have written that have gotten engaged responses (just click on the link, then click on "download"):

What We Got Wrong in the War on Drugs

The First Step Act and the Brutal Timidity of Criminal Law Reform

Clemency as the Soul of the Constitution

You can link to a bunch of other pieces (some co-authored with people smarter than me) here.

I've got three major writing projects this summer. For William and Mary, I'm doing a piece on the Trump administration's use of clemency. I'm going to be working with Rachel Barkow on a new commissioned article on clemency in the modern era. And finally, I'm going to get work done on a big-picture think piece with the central thesis that complexity in criminal law leads to injustice. 

And that's going to be plenty to do!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#