Sunday, April 03, 2022

 

Sunday Reflection: Summer Beckons

 

This has been a strange year so far: I feel like I have been super-busy yet have not gotten much done. Of course, as a teacher, you don't always know what you are getting done, the impact you are having-- you only find out much later, if ever.
 
I find myself yearning for a break, for a road trip. I kind of need some time where I am not responsible for five meetings and a class or two and then some other stuff. 
 
And that's part of being human. We are constructed that way. And as with other things, our faith takes that into account: we have a designated day of rest, holidays, and the example of Christ basically going on a road trip now and then. 
 
Several years ago on a Saturday I was walking on a Brooklyn street. The day had become warm. A man, an Orthodox Jew, hailed me over to his doorway and asked me to turn on the fan. It seemed like an odd request, but I was happy to help, and when I went into the apartment I saw a whole scene. Some kids were playing a game. A woman was taking a nap. I turned on the fan and figured it all out later.
 
Sometimes, I still think about them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#